+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Lockwood MAJORS

  1. #11
    Join Date: Jan 2011

    Location: Kent

    Posts: 1,357
    I'm Clark.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If I owned Jack Bruce's Orange Formica Lockwood Majors I would stride the world like a colossus! I wonder who has them now?
    I know what you mean. I used to own a pair of ex John Entwhisle JBL C50SMS8's. The provenance doesn't make them sound any better (although they were amazing speakers) but it does ones ego no harm.

    Jack Bruce playing the baseline in Crossroads was something to behold. The big Tannoys I have had never sounded quite as natural or tuneful.
    Last edited by BTH K10A; 29-08-2011 at 08:20. Reason: another thought

  2. #12
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 43,457
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vencel View Post
    Hello,

    I don't know this Formica. Are they that better than layered wood or than Pazerholz?
    Formica is a resin type compound used over chipboard to make durable surfaces like kitchen worktops:



    Orange was a colour used in the ninteen seventies...

    I think Marco was tongue in cheek when he suggested the orange formica would improve the sound. It would look pretty funky, though.

    Hope this helps
    Current Lash Up:

    TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > Troels Gravesen Faital 3WC-15.

  3. #13
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,805
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    I think Marco was tongue in cheek when he suggested the orange formica would improve the sound. It would look pretty funky, though.
    Indeed!

    But at the same time, I'm in no hurry to remove the 'rosewood effect' formica on my Majors, and replace it with something more modern and aesthetically pleasing, as a different type and thickness of cabinet veneer *could* alter how the speakers sound, for better or worse - and I absolutely love how my speakers sound. And of course, once that's done, it's done....

    There are times when you're best leaving things well alone, and this is one of them!

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  4. #14
    Join Date: Jun 2010

    Location: S .Herts, UK

    Posts: 47
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    HI Vencel

    'Formica' was the brand name for a very hard- waring plastic type covering that was introduced in the 1950's.It was meant primarily for kitchens and kitchen work surfaces and cupboard fronts,.It was good quality stuff! It was very popular in orange and/or yellow.I think it is still being made.Revolutionary at the time. Everyone had Formica somewhere in the house.Probably called something different around the world.

    Buuuuuttttt,how it got to be used on professonally built loudspeakers I can't imagine.Quite amusing really. Formica?Probably a requirement by a customer somewhere.

    So no,there is nothing majical about using this stuff on loudspeakers.

    Regards
    ADRIAN

  5. #15
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Location: Devon

    Posts: 1,903
    I'm stu.

    Default

    I wouldn't mind a pair of lockwoods in white formica.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

  6. #16
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Lancaster(-ish), UK

    Posts: 16,936
    I'm ChrisB.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    .......... a different type and thickness of cabinet veneer *could* alter how the speakers sound, for better or worse - and I absolutely love how my speakers sound. And of course, once that's done, it's done....
    Actually, I suspect that (aesthetics aside) it's probably an excellent material to coat a pair of loudspeakers in. It's actually made of layers & layers of paper and/or fabric, which is soaked in a resin (melamine) and subjected to huge pressures and heat in order to cure it. This makes it very stiff.
    Also the stuff they used in the 50's was, I think a good bit thicker than the Formica you see nowadays. Additionally, it was probably stuck down to your ply(?) cabinets with an organically based glue (horses hooves?!). This combination makes a very stiff and inert layer of material - got to be good for sound, no?

    By the way, Formica was originally meant to be a replacement 'For Mica' as an electrical insulator and has been with us since 1913.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 29-08-2011 at 15:57.

  7. #17
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: Hove Actually

    Posts: 3,947
    I'm Imjustsurviving.

    Default

    The Formica is what gives them the sound they have, if you remove or change the Formica the sound will change dramatically as well, a mate of mine used Lockwoods in his recording studio back in the seventies as his monitors prefering the LSU units over the HPD's
    Jon


    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.




    Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

  8. #18
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Lancaster(-ish), UK

    Posts: 16,936
    I'm ChrisB.

    Default

    I suspect that, if yer aestheticals were really important to you, you could probably get someone (armed with some suitable adhesive and a good degree of woodworking skills) to bond a real wood veneer to Formica and get the best of both worlds........maybe!

  9. #19
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,805
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Hi Jon,

    The Formica is what gives them the sound they have, if you remove or change the Formica the sound will change dramatically as well...
    Are you being serious, mate, or just taking the piss?

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  10. #20
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 43,457
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    The Audiophile properties of Formica...

    We are through the looking glass here, people...
    Current Lash Up:

    TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > Troels Gravesen Faital 3WC-15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •