+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Configuring interconnects

I'm Bernie.

Default Configuring interconnects

I have just made up a set of RCA interconnects for a tapedeck I bought recently on ebay. I have connected the screening at one end only and understand that this should be connected at the source end (tapedeck). While that is fine for the connection from the TD to the amp, I was wondering how to configure the other pair from amp to TD (recording)? Can somebody advise on what the general rule is?

Cheers.
    Bernie.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Logic dictates preamp outs to tape deck.

Best bet is to try the cables both ways round - a cable I made up and use sounds great in my system following the source to speakers directionality route, yet it sounds better connected in reverse in a friend's system.
    I think in my friend's case it's down to earthing arrangements.

Point I'm trying to make is there's no hard and fast rule about it.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Pete.

always ground the shield at the source end .....this should leave anything the shield screens from getting further down the audio chain

I'm Bernie.

Yes, I know that. Is the source the preamp or tape deck when the signal is travelling into the tape deck?
    Bernie.

MartinT Guest

Interesting, I learned years ago to connect the shield at the destination end only (you need dual-core cable for this). Similarly, Kimber cables have the drain wire connected at the destination end only.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by zanash View Post
    always ground the shield at the source end .....this should leave anything the shield screens from getting further down the audio chain
    You should connect the screen to the point of lowest electrical potential. That means the item of equipment whose 0 volt rail is connected to the mains earth. That may not necessarily be the source. You have to experiment with this.
    Barry

I'm Bernie.

I'll have to experiment I think. Thanks everybody for the advice.
    Bernie.

+ Reply to Thread