+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Strange Issue....any ideas

  1. #1
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Cricklewood

    Posts: 9,074
    I'm ILOB.

    Default Strange Issue....any ideas

    I have a issue around my system sounding different on different days
    I live near a industrial estate and suspect the issue may arise from the estate
    My systems nearly always sounds very good sometimes it sounds freaking awesome but betwen once a week to once every two weeks the sound becomes slightly muffled. Ideally I like freaking Awesome every day.
    I think its RFI but have balanced mains that make a huge difference to everything; cables and everything work well
    Its like a itch I cannot scratch
    Any thoughts
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

    Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

  2. #2
    Join Date: Mar 2009

    Location: Elland

    Posts: 6,922
    I'm David.

    Default

    I have noticed that... But there is no pattern... I have put it down to ears/mood
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

  3. #3
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Cricklewood

    Posts: 9,074
    I'm ILOB.

    Default

    I know the brain tricksy but nahh think its something else
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

    Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

  4. #4
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    Hi John, sorry to hear this as i can imagine it must be very frustrating

    I'd suggest you find out exactly what these businesses on the industrial estate near you actually do. You possibly have a couple of choices in reality, either very heavy mains born interference or RFI as you point out.

    Do you have any radio amateurs living near you? Look round for unusual aerials, might also be interference from taxi firms (if local) or a CB radio entusiast.

    If you can find out what the firms are doing it might narrow things down a bit, heavy mains interference will likely be down to something using very heavy current which has possibly been rectified. Think something like electroplater.

    It's a pity you don't have an oscilloscope kicking about as when the sound isn't good you could take a look at the incoming mains waveform to your house & possibly narrow it down to EMI or RFI
    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

  5. #5
    Join Date: Mar 2009

    Location: Elland

    Posts: 6,922
    I'm David.

    Default

    Is there a pattern to it?
    Id start by taking note of when the problem happens and doesn't, see if that gives any clues
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

  6. #6
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Cricklewood

    Posts: 9,074
    I'm ILOB.

    Default

    no real pattern but think Mark on the right path I was wondering about getting a noise sniffer to see if its RFI It seems like it might be something i just have to accept
    As i said it does not happen to often so I suspect it might be machinery
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

    Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

  7. #7
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: http://www.homehifi.co.uk

    Posts: 6,289

    Default

    It's heavy machinery used in the trading estate. I too live close to a trading estate and have found out that equipment in the estate are affecting the power supply. One is noise and the other is actual fluctuation in the mains level. The audio stuff with switched mode power supplies would be largely unaffected, but amplifier outputs with unregulated power supplies are mutually tied to the mains power supply level. So a decrease in the mains will cause a decrease in the amp output, but more importantly, the bias voltage of the amp outputs stage would also be affected, unless it is using auto biasing.

  8. #8
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Cricklewood

    Posts: 9,074
    I'm ILOB.

    Default

    Cheers Stan
    Seem to effect sub plates more than power amp The sub plates are moset valve whilst the power amp is tube
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

    Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

  9. #9
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    John, can i ask you how your balanced mains is made? Are you using a transformer/s out of interest? This isn't off topic by the way
    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

  10. #10
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    I find Mondays are the worst for me here, but it could easily be me and my mood at present... On bad days the Spendors sound like they have a severe cold, better with the crowns driving them and worse with both the Quads. By Wednesday the system seems to sound totally different and not at all congested. I'm sure it's more me though.....
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •