+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Active Speakers for Hi-Fi

Default Active Speakers for Hi-Fi

Tannoy Precision 8D - '3-way' monitor with Super Tweeter

Here is an active monitor from a Tannoy, a famous old name whose history goes back over 80 years.
    Precision 8D is out of the ordinary and it has some features that are not usually found in near-field active monitors and are controversial.
    One dealer described it as a 3-way monitor.
    This forum is fortunate enough to have many experienced members.
    Any views anyone?

180W (120+60) RMS per unit. ST is powered by passive feed from HF
    Dual Concentric™ LF/MID : 200mm (8")
    Dual Concentric™ HF: 25mm (1”) titanium dome, neodymium magnet system
    Super Tweeter: 25mm (1”) titanium dome, neodymium magnet system
    FR 44Hz-51kHz ± 3 dB
    S/PDIF (sampling rate 44.1-96 kHz), XLR & TRS Combo Input,
    S/PDIF output for slaving stereo pair
    44h x 27.2w x 37d cm (17 3/8” x 10 3/4” x 14 5/8”) : 18 Kg each
    £ 863.93p per pair at Thomann
    £749.00 per pair at dv247.com

The Tannoy ActivAssist: PC/MAC based software-measuring system to assist with the setting of the DIP switches to reach a substantially linear and flat response at the monitoring position. Using a standard laptop with the microphone and cables supplied in the pack, the performance of the speaker in a particular environment can be assessed and a recommended set of switches set up.
    Job CF
    West Sussex

I'm Steve.

they look ace, I bet they sound great too. Tannoy is a brand that deserves immense respect, from the big DC's to the more modest offerings, I have always liked them ( I used to work in an audio shop many years ago that sold the smaler models - mercury, M20 Gold etc)
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm John.

I just lurve active speakers. Shame despite many efforts I haven’t been able to build a satisfacotry crossover for my setup yet.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread