+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Canton CT-1000/2 Three way Speakers

  1. #41
    Join Date: Jun 2011

    Location: Tallinn, Estonia

    Posts: 155
    I'm Juha.

    Default

    Canton CT1000 crossover recap done. Original caps were pretty decent 120 was 131, 15 was 17, 47 was 51 and mkt 4.7 was 4.8. My multimeter does not do ESR. Replaced all of them with Visaton crossover caps. A full set for two speakers was 30 eur.
    Difficult to say if this made any difference. Fun fact: bass is in normal phase, mid and tweeter are reverse phase.
    Measured with computer and REW. Looking good from 50hz to 18k. Line goes within 3-5 db corridor. My Dayton Audio mid is 3 db too quiet. Tweeter starts to climb after 10k, This is ok, since I cant hear anything above 14k anyway.

    Yes, these are nice and interesting speakers. I like tinkering with amps and eq systems.

  2. #42
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Carlisle - UK

    Posts: 2,086
    I'm Ken.

    Default

    Update

    I eventually opened up the Cantons and did a refresh of some, nearly 40 year old parts.

    I mapped the circuit and made this diagram, its a slight variation on earlier versions.




    This was the x-over fitted.




    And this was the x-over with the new parts installed.



    I went for "like for like" replacements. There was only one film cap fitted, in series with the tweeter, I put a better quality one there and replaced the ceramic resistor on the tweeter with a mills MRA05. The main upgrade was that I used parts that were closer to the target values as can be seen in my measurements below.

    Measured Caps and Resistor Values
    (Right hand speaker)

    (Target) Old New

    C1 (120uF) 145.9 120.7 Mundorf ECap Raw Electrolytic 35V
    C2 (47uF) 51.72 47.45 Mundorf ECap Plain Electrolytic 70V
    C3 (15uF) 16.22 15.00 Mundorf ECap Plain Electrolytic 70V
    C4 (4.7uF) 4.601 4.776 Obbligato Copper Series Poypropylene 630V

    R1 (1.5ohm) 1.479 1.501 Jantzen 10W Superes
    R2 (47ohm) 46.17 46.84 Jantzen 10W Superes
    R3 (1.8ohm) 1.759 1.784 Mills MRA 12W
    R4 (0.27ohm) 0.2547 0.2672 Mills MRA 05W

    The basic White metal binding posts where changed, to Laboratory grade Hirschmann 35Amp banana sockets.
    The internal wiring has also been improved. I fitted Atlas Hyper 2.0 speaker cable, from the posts to X-Over and from X-Over to Bass Driver. The Midrange and Tweeter drivers were connected with Atlas Hyper 1.5. These cables use high purity copper wrapped in Teflon and are my go-to speaker cables, I use the same cable inside the cabinet as I do from amp to speaker, I just scale down the thickness slightly for these short internal runs.

    That's it for the speakers, nothing fancy in the refresh and they sound great.
    The like for like refresh didn't change the basic sound signature, just a little bit more separation and slightly cleaner top end, but very small changes, they sounded good in the first place. These will probably see me out now, definitely my keepers.

  3. #43
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 43,480
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    I guess C1 being 20 percent out could well matter. The rest seem pretty close for 40 years old!

    I still remember listening to 'Ruby Baby' off The Nightfly on these at NEBO, extraordinarily good. Canton really did get them just exactly right.

    I like the NS1000M a lot but I agree with you I would take these over them for the same reasons.
    Current Lash Up:

    TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > Troels Gravesen Faital 3WC-15.

  4. #44
    Join Date: Dec 2013

    Location: north

    Posts: 496
    I'm mick.

    Default

    I had nothing new to bring this year,could take mine next year.Checked and they are mk2's also.Could fetch my Verdik Q10 valve amps I use with them also.
    Mick
    A work in progress !

  5. #45
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Carlisle - UK

    Posts: 2,086
    I'm Ken.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mik_rik View Post
    I had nothing new to bring this year,could take mine next year.Checked and they are mk2's also.Could fetch my Verdik Q10 valve amps I use with them also.
    Mick

  6. #46
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Carlisle - UK

    Posts: 2,086
    I'm Ken.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I guess C1 being 20 percent out could well matter. The rest seem pretty close for 40 years old!

    I still remember listening to 'Ruby Baby' off The Nightfly on these at NEBO, extraordinarily good. Canton really did get them just exactly right.

    I like the NS1000M a lot but I agree with you I would take these over them for the same reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •