+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: Garrard 301 restoration project

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 301 Restoration Project PT LXIV - Tom tweakery part, err, not sure!

Greetings all vinyl spinners. Another update in the ever evolving story of a vintage Garrard 301. This time I have stripped away a lot of stuff from the Garrard 301 and have installed some Stack Audio Auva EQ isolators to the underside of the Bamboo plinth. Here is what they look like.

Probably better to show you what they look like when they arrive. Here's a quick pictire of the Stack Audio Project and some of the Townshend gear that they have temporarily replaced.

And finally heres a picture of a load of stuff sitting on my window sill including my CNC machined footers that I removed from the 301, these live on a large ball bearing it's interesting to hear the differences in presentation. I will produce a write up at some point.

I'm now on the third type of footer for the bamboo plinth. So far I've had bamboo footers which were quite good, I had the CNC aluminium ball bearing footers which I'm quite so sure about compared to the bamboo and now we have Stack Audio. TBH the reviews of the Stack Audio products have been very positive so I'm hoping to hear good things. I've been a little sneaky in that I still have my Townshend platform under the 301, well I thought I'd have a little experiment and see if an additional layer of isolation for the 301 would work better than just the Stack Audio footers sitting on the Bamboo shelf of my hifi rack. So, presently we have the damping of a bamboo shelf, a Townshend seismic podium and then the Stack Audio footers. It makes for an interesting experiment. As ever, stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

MONO
    Pre Croft Epoch Power Sondex S100 Deck Garrard 301 Tonearm SME 3009 Cartridge SPU MONO mk II Phonostage Croft Music Maker Speaker Quad ESL 57 Cables Tonearm SME IC - Duelund Realsound Speaker SEAC 850C

I'm Charlie.

I look forward to reading your impressions regarding the footers Andrew. On another forum a chap is using the AT 612 air bladder type footers under his DD table which he thinks are very good. I've been tempted to try air suspension/isolation myself but maintaining pressure could become a chore.

I'm Charlie.

Here's a link to the most OTT implementation of the 301 I have seen!
    https://audioexotics.vanillacommunit...II3Jt9nWRU6k5A
    I'm not sure how much science was involved but there is a lot of pretty CNC machining!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    I'm not sure how much science was involved but there is a lot of pretty CNC machining!
    Since only the motor and the control switches/levers remain of the original deck, it can hardly be called a 301. And despite the admirable dedication and perseverance shown, I'm sure he could have achieved an equal, if not better, performance from a more recent turntable design.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 301 Restoration Project PT LXV - Twoddle! & MONOLOG - A sub blog! Pt IV - Options and decisions.
    I'm always really happy to see how other people do things and tonight I find a little action on my blog regarding an old Garrard rescued from a garage in Barnsley! Now this post got me interested. I must admit to not reading all of it, I'm still trying to get my head around some of the unproven technobabble in the article. This bit made me laugh :-

"When the sonic signature of materials is removed, a whole new world of music opens up. Tonal colour delivery has become exponentially more polychromatic. Depth of musical note elongates within a frameless holographical stage filled with energy and organic silence. Juxtaposition of musical themes amongst instrumental groups of any high quality symphonic recording is distinctly comprehensible. Superimposition of harmonics from violin over another layer of harmonics from viola/cello or wind/brass is immensely kaleidoscopic fathoming my auditory sense to uncharted area. Spatial resolution of the Z axis is interminable continuous. Radiation of pianissimo/fortissimo energy naturally elicits musicality poetically/thunderously to my senses. Replay of any symphonic score surrounds me with a whole range of tones that harmonise with a unique synchronicity I’ve never experienced before. "

Can you interpret that ? The whole article can be found here, incidently, thanks Chas B for taking time in sending me a link.

The chap in the article has gone way beyond my humble musing in this thread, but then money dosen't seem to be a problem when your wearing a watch valued in the £30K price bracket, I have no idea how much the amplifiers cost in the article but I bet the whole system is well into the £100K's. I do see a lot of common themes in the article like decoupling the motor, changing the power supply, stiffening the chassis, etc etc. The only difference is that this guy has gone completely wild with his choice of materials, and fair play to him. I wish him the very best of luck with his project. As always I like to take away something from another individuals journey and in this instance I like his ideas regarding decoupling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Since only the motor and the control switches/lev ers remain of the original deck, it can hardly be called a 301. And despite the admirable dedication and perseverance shown, I'm sure he could have achieved an equal, if not better, performance from a more recent turntable design.
    +1 I agree with you in so many areas!

Now, back to my journey. So, I was asked how the new Stack Audio footers sound.

I look forward to reading your impressions regarding the footers Andrew. On another forum a chap is using the AT 612 air bladder type footers under his DD table which he thinks are very good. I've been tempted to try air suspension/isolation myself but maintaining pressure could become a chore.
    Well I;m pleased to say that my findings seems to mirror many other audiophiles that have used them. I won't waffle but in general the new footers dig deeper in the bass area and add an uplifted vibrancy to the soundstage, yes clarity does seem to improve with these footers. I do however detect is slight hint of blunting to the presentation of the leading edge to some of the notes and I guess that's the trade-off and whether it's worthwhile accepting this tradeoff as the new sonic presentation in my listening room. The 301 is now pretty isolated with respects to stuff entering it from the outside world. The 301 sits on a Townshend Seismic plateform which is tuned and specifically selected for the weight of the TT, the Townshend also has a CLD component. Stack Audio footers now sit under the 301, the 301 plinth is made from Bamboo and I have Panzerholz tonearm mounts. Yes, things could probably be improved but I'm very happy so far with the sonic presentation.

Now for some musings on my MONO setup. I decided to do some MONO stuff today. The first was to decide if I liked valve or SS presentation. Presently I have been using the Croft Music Maker phonostage, well, today, I have come to the conclusion that I'm ditching this in favour of the Paradise phonostage. I have the ability to run my MONO setup through a single boxed, single PSU paradise phonostage, it's a little time consuming setting this up but the effort is well wortwhile and carries quite a few positive benefits compared to running the Croft. Firstly, RIAA setup on the PAradise is extremely accurate. The Paradise is extremely quiet, which, when used with a freshly ultrasonically cleaned MONO pressing can result in near silent backgrounds. This is not so on the Croft. The Croft also means a shed load of additional cabling sitting around the back of my hifi wrack which can only mean mess and the potential for nasties getting into the system. I could further seperate Paradise PSU's and this may give further benefits . So, the next big decision is the speaker, is it going to be A single Quad ESL 57, or is it going to be a single Tannoy 15" MG? This is probably next weeks dilema. I have a couple of interesting upgrades for the SME 3009 as well. I have potentially source some IPE to make a new tonearm mount which has all the properties of Panzerholz but might fetch something sonically to the table. I will also make this tonearm mouint the correct height so I no longer have to mess around with platter mat for correct VTA. I might also do a RCA conversion to the SME 3009 and do away with the SME cabling, this might sound radical but it opens up a whole range of possibilities and also removes a whole load of connections in the sonic chain.

As ever, stay tuned......
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

MONO
    Pre Croft Epoch Power Sondex S100 Deck Garrard 301 Tonearm SME 3009 Cartridge SPU MONO mk II Phonostage Croft Music Maker Speaker Quad ESL 57 Cables Tonearm SME IC - Duelund Realsound Speaker SEAC 850C

I'm Steven.

I used a Townshend podium for years, but have the Kridon Image feet under my 301. I find them very effective, but what really does it for me is a very solid structure underneath, made of welded tubular steel and a solid slate shelf on top. Sadly the Kridon Image feet are no longer available on eBay.

https://flic.kr/p/2pVnAdN
    Wilson, Gryphon, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    I used a Townshend podium for years, but have the Kridon Image feet under my 301. I find them very effective, but what really does it for me is a very solid structure underneath, made of welded tubular steel and a solid slate shelf on top. Sadly the Kridon Image feet are no longer available on eBay.

https://flic.kr/p/2pVnAdN
    Do you know Kridon? I could ask him if he has any more feet available.

Sent from my HEY2-W09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758