+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Now that my ears have stopped bleeding

I'm Andrew.

Default Now that my ears have stopped bleeding

I’ve done quite a few ferrofluid replacements over the years now due to the tweeters sounding dull but until now I never knew that it could also make the tweeters become super bright as it did on my latest speakers .
    I had also recapped them ( Mundorf 5% ) so I put the brightness down to that , two weeks on and I swear it was getting worse! I changed power amps , preamps , cables , but it was still there .
    Last night I decided to change the ferrofluid which was very very risky given that these Dynaudio D28af’s are unobtainable ( the speakers originally came with mismatched Dynaudio tweeters) .
    They now sound as I would expect FANTASTIC ( not quite as good as the TG Ekta 2’s )

When I think back to how many speakers I’ve disliked because they were too bright and some did have ferrofluid tweeters .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

If it's a damping material you'd think that if it stopped working the speaker would get brighter, not duller; like you say.

But I think it's purpose is to draw the heat from the voice coil, giving better power handling. So I don't know if it really has any effect beyond that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Default Now that my ears have stopped bleeding

Yeah damping ( moving heat away from the coil ) and cooling apparently. There was barely any in there whereas normally it takes ages to clean the old tar like stuff out whereas these took minutes ( a bloody scary task though)

I'm Martin.

They look like quite a tasty speaker.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They look like quite a tasty speaker.
    They are pretty good Martin , they weigh a bloody ton . Beautiful craftsmanship ( as are most Ruarks I’ve seen )

+ Reply to Thread