+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: The day - today

I'm openingabottleofwine.

24 May 1686
    Gabriel Daniel Farenheit, German physicist who invented the Newbury thermometer, was born.

23 May 1819
    Queen Victoria was born at Kensington Palace.

Birthdays:

Bob Dylan, singer/songwriter, 83
    Patti LaBelle, singer, 80
    Barry

I'm Steve.

25 May 1871 - The House of Commons passed the Bank Holiday and Shit Weather Act, creating public holidays on Easter Monday, Whit Monday and Christmas day.

Why was Whitsuntide changed to Spring Bank Holiday? I'm guessing it's a religion thing, where some folk were feeling left out.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    25 May 1871 - The House of Commons passed the Bank Holiday and Shit Weather Act, creating public holidays on Easter Monday, Whit Monday and Christmas day.

Why was Whitsuntide changed to Spring Bank Holiday? I'm guessing it's a religion thing, where some folk were feeling left out.
    Probably, it's not as if Easter and Christmas are religious holidays. They're just days you eat lots of chocolate eggs and get lots of presents. If Whitsun had some sort of materialistic association they would probably have kept it too.

I'm Steve.

I will always associate Whitsuntide with candy floss, goldfish in a bag and archery sets where the arrows had suckers on the ends because that was always the week the fair came to town. So fairly materialistic.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

Whitsun inspired possibly one of the best poems in the English language:

https://poetryarchive.org/poem/whitsun-weddings/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Whitsun inspired possibly one of the best poems in the English language:

https://poetryarchive.org/poem/whitsun-weddings/
    That's a bit cultured Martin. Don't see that round here very often

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    That's a bit cultured Martin. Don't see that round here very often
    Yeah, sorry about that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

A bit of culture is not to be dismissed - it raises the tone and standard of the Forum.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

31 May 1976 - The Who set the record for the loudest ever rock concert, 120 decibels at 50 metres, at The Valley, Charlton, London.

31 May 1889 - Painter Francis Berraud showed a painting of his dog Nipper listening to a phonograph to the general manager of 'The Gramophone Company' in London. The phonograph was painted out and a gramophone substituted. It later became the trademark for the company "His Master's Voice".

T'other system:

A/V:

3 June 1946
    First bikini was unveiled in Paris.

3 June 1956
    Third class rail travel was abolished in Britian.

3 June 1978
    The Guinness Book of Records went into the Guinness Book of Records - as the most stolen book from libraries.

Birthdays:
    Suzi Quatro, rock singer, 74
    Kelly Jones, singer (Stereophonics), 50
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast