+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tidal Music

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Haven't checked recently, do Tidal still make you create a social account for sharing? Had Tidal for years, then suddenly they wanted to make you create an account or you couldn't use the service. That pissed me off so I cancelled it. If I'm paying for a service I expect to be able to use it how I choose. I did complain, but got no reply unsurprisingly.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The other day I was trying my damnedest to get her to play songs by Texan indie singer songwriter Lera Lynn, and all I could get was "White Cliffs of Dover"

I like streaming and I like my vinyl. All my CD's have been ripped to FLAC so I don't even have them on display. If I find new music I really like I'll buy the vinyl if available but I haven't bought a CD for years. Each to his own.

I'm Martin.

Each to his own indeed. We're lucky that we still have so many different options available.

I'd hate to be stuck with just streaming the same as others would hate to be stuck with just physical media.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robin.

Ive not used Tidal, have used Apple Music for years and having trying out Qobuz , but I think I will cancel it and stick with Apple which should be fine for all the streaming I do.
    Regards
    Robin

Origin Live Calypso MK5 turntable, Origin Live Onyx tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Completely agree with all of this, and is exactly why I haven't gone down the streaming route. Well that, and also the whole paying for permission to play someone else's tunes thing.

But at £9.99 it's certainly tempting, if only to use it for 'discovery'. At the moment I just use an Echo Dot connected to my second system, and it's ok, just. Trouble is, that dopey Alexa bint doesn't do northern accents The other day I was trying my damnedest to get her to play songs by Texan indie singer songwriter Lera Lynn, and all I could get was "White Cliffs of Dover"
    Yeh, I suffer the same state of blankness when given free choice.
    I do find my streaming service (Qobuz) useful, in that it lets me know the albums not to waste my money on.
    With new releases, probably one in thirty, where I sample a few tracks, is worth a full album listen and one in five of those is worth buying as something I will re visit.
    I sampled 100 albums one day and couldn't find one I wanted to hear all the way through.
    There seems to be so much mediocre stuff, same as the previous artist in style, same as the previous track in tempo, yawn!
    Officially an old git I guess

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    There seems to be so much mediocre stuff, same as the previous artist in style, same as the previous track in tempo, yawn!
    Officially an old git I guess
    Or it's true!

I check out recommendations but I'd say fewer than one in twenty are something I'll bother getting.

I really don't think it's an age thing. Most modern films I watch are also mediocre, derivative, or just plain crap.

What I find odd is that with digital technology it must be cheaper to make films than it was in the 1970s and 1980s but there seems to be a lot less original films and many more sequels, remakes (never, ever as good as the original), idiotic super hero franchises, and films based on old TV shows (which are always, without fail, a squandered opportunity)

What happened to all the great low budget films like Escape From New York or Easy Rider? No-one's taking chances anymore.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I daresay that we all have a tendency to remember the good films and music that we watched, particularly in our youth, and to forget the huge volume of dross. Even a cursory look at the charts from the 60s onwards will show how few gems there were. Same goes for movies.

I am at a loss to understand why anyone would think fewer good tunes are being produced these days. If one is basing this on the charts, I can understand, as they have always been a marketing tool rather than a vehicle for quality. Perhaps one is focusing on youth output, which may be partly true though artists like Billie Eilish would suggest otherwise. A lot of the new music I listen to is by established (though perhaps not famous) artists aged 30 and over. It's out there if you look for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12