+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Teac VRDS-T1 Transport

I'm Ken.

How can you have jitter in an analogue chain?
    Its a different kind of distortion, but I suppose it can sound similar by the time it gets to the speakers/your ear.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    How can you have jitter in an analogue chain?
    Its a different kind of distortion, but I suppose it can sound similar by the time it gets to the speakers/your ear.
    Jitters caused by inconsistency in the arrival time of information which is an issue with both vinyl and tape due to their lack of speed stability. Whether it's analogue or digital the signal is still just voltage varying with time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Jitters caused by inconsistency in the arrival time of information which is an issue with both vinyl and tape due to their lack of speed stability. Whether it's analogue or digital the signal is still just voltage varying with time.
    Everything is effected by time delay, even when I drink a pint, don't think I would call my experience jitter, possibly DT's.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Analogue "jitter" is called 'wow and flutter'.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

100% agree about electrical noise from power supply.
    Even bleeding from elsewhere (ugh...) noise can cause big problems.

Found the biggest gains in my system tackling that specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    vinyl and tape have magnitudes more jitter than even the worst CD player and those things are not an issue with those formats.

I'd suggest the worst problem you can have from CD is power supply noise bleeding into the signal, which you do see with some players (even expensive ones) which can be bad enough to cause the sort of effects you describe.

Really high levels of jitter just sound like tape wow, never an issue with CD.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm James.

Anyone know if the CDM4/21 Phillips transport is any good. It looks like a solid bit of engineering to me unlike the flimsy drawer mechanisms found on so many CDP.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

According to a thread on DIY Audio, the 4/21 seems to be quite a rare model.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    According to a thread on DIY Audio, the 4/21 seems to be quite a rare model.
    Yes there were any iterations of the CDM4 mechanism so this was just one implementation. It might be that it was a bespoke model for a particular manufacturer.

In general I believe the CDM4 was a robust transport?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The best site listing, and describing, all the Philips CD laser mechanisms is Hi Fi Advice. It is the most comprehensive site I know of.

But even there, there is no mention of a CD4-21, so it must be pretty rara avis!
    Barry

I'm Ken.

Yeh, many variants, some with plastic frame like the CDM4/21 and numbers, both lower and higher, with plastic or Die cast alloy.
    The real gems are the CDM4/53 and CDM4/Industrial both built like tanks and used in comercial kit like CD jukbox's.
    The Industrial was used in the famous Mark Levinson No31 Transport.
    The CDM4/36Pro also great, there are many very good versions and even the most basic was a good mechanism with a glass laser.
    To be honest the drawer is irrelevant, as once inside, the CD is lifted off the drawer and there is no physical contact once qued.
    The drawer is more about confidence, pride of ownership and pleasure in use, as long as it doesn't rattle and cause vibration problems during play its ok.

This is my go-to site for CD transport mechanisms:
    https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/cla...-1-mkii-cdm-9/

Edit: you beat me to it Barry, with the site reference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast