+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does coloured vinyl sound worse than the traditional black vinyl?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Then there must be some other additive in some new vinyl that causes the issue, I clean all my vinyl new and used before playing and place in anti-static sleeves and it is very noticeable that a high percentage of new vinyl from recent years gets more static build up, whereas older original records rarely do.
    The whole business of pressing records is/was a 'black art'. Each record label had their own trade secrets. With the appearance of CD, a lot of the know how was lost as pressing plant operators were either made redundant or retired.

Recently with the resurgence of vinyl, independent pressing plants have sprung up, using old equipment which to be truthful had seen better days, and operated by newcomers who have yet to learn the techniques of their former colleagues.

The way records are pressed differs country to country, as does their quality.

I too clean any 'new' LP on receipt and use a Decca record brush before playing. I have never had a problem with static.

As Steve says, the choice of inner sleeve is important. None are perfect, with the exception of the very expensive E-Stat carbon fibre sleeves originally distributed by Tannoy.
    Barry

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I have some great coloured vinyl LPs. However black shows things up better and I understand that quality checking at pressing plants or by vendors can't be as effective on coloured vinyl.

Pete

I'm Ken.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As I said in post 7.
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

My red vinyl arrived, and it sounds fine. No surface noise noticeable.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Shaun.

I have numerous coloured vinyl records mainly by Ozric Tentacles and the sound is superb. I guess therefore my answer would be a definite no.

I'm Phil.

Technically speaking black is best, then natural clear, followed by crystal clear and all standard colours, then effect vinyl such as splatter and marble, picture discs are basically flexidiscs stuck o to a plain piece of vinyl which is why they generally sound awful

I'm Phil.

In practical terms though I haven't heard much difference between black and coloured vinyl variants of the same pressing

I'm Ken.

Dark colours tend to require a lower percentage of pigment to achieve a good solid colour, worst scenario is white.
    Its the same with paint and this is why White paint offers the least rust protection.
    It's doubtful that the differing amounts of pigment, which only accounts for a few percent by volume, would be enough to cause a discernible difference in sound.
    Picture discs are another matter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12