+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crown XLS1200

I'm Chris.

Default Crown XLS1200

Anyone have any knowledge of this amplifier. In particular how intrusive is the fan noise.

Thanks

Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Lawrence.

Sorry not me, I've only used Yamaha PA amps before.

I'm Chris.

Thanks anyway Lawrence.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Steve.

Behringer do a similar amp without fans. I think it's called the A800.
    Steve.

I'm Mike.

@Ali Tait

I'm sure Ali used a Crown or Behringer power amp on his open baffle speakers years ago. If he sees this he might have some info

I'm Michael.

Default Crown Drive Core Amps

Yes, I have one of these and I have never managed to trigger the fan.

I'm Shaun.

I used a pair of Crown XLS amps for a short while as a pair of bridged power amps and never once found the fan noise intrusive.

I'm Jon.

I used one of the bigger siblings to drive a pair of Magneplanar SMG's. Fan noise was never an issue.
    Projekt Expression, AT OC9, Rega Appollo, Moon DAC, ATC Pre / Usher R1.2 Power, ATC SCM 40 Loudsqueakers, Squeezebox Duet.

I'm Josie.

I've used this model before. It's a very nice amplifier. Don't be put off by the fan noise, it was very quiet but I guess it depends on how hard you push it. But I seriously doubt you'd top it out.

It was one of these and another type which made me look at Mc2 which are the best in the pro business IMO.. and as luck had it, last year they set up Ultrafide, which are a hifi arm of rhe pro business... So the Ultrafide U500DC is now in my system and very nice it is too.

Sent from my BBC Microcomputer 32K
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    the Ultrafide U500DC is now in my system and very nice it is too.
    I read your Tannoyista review Jo. Very interesting.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread