+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A very indepth analysis of the Shure M44-7 v M55E cartridges

I'm James.

Interesting reading Andy. How is the M44-7 coming along and what are you initial impressions vs M55E.

My own take on the M44-7 range of cartridges was that they paint a broad big bold picture where as the V15, M55E, M72, M75, M91 were a bit more subtle and orientated at audio enthusiasts. I think it may be true to say the M44-7 was a DJ cartridge with a sound to match?

I feel if I were to continue my exploration of the Shure cartridges I would once again dive into the SAS pool and come up with another Frankencartridge based on the M55E which would be another old vs modern hybrid?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Shure Adventure Pt V - Some initial thoughts...

I've now completed my 30 hours on the Shure M44-7 and Tonar stylus, I've had 15 hours with the Croft phonostage and 15 hours on the EAR 834p Clone. I've pitted RCA 5691's against Mullard ECC83's. I've now swapped over to the M55-E and now I'm pluuged into the EAR 834p listening to vintage Mullard ECC83's. It's a sound that I'm very familar with. I've got a Shure N44G sitting in the M55E at the moment as this is the only thing I had that could plub into the M55E and give me some output. I have a few initial thoughts on the M44-7 which I shall share but I don't want to give to much away. I've still got 30 hours to put onto this new stylus for the M55E.

One thing is for S(h)ure the output on the M44-7 is ok (just) on my system. I honestly do not need a great deal of wiggle on the volume pot to get a whole room of noise. This makes this cartridge great for low level listening (if that's what you can call it). It does indeed (Jim) paint a very wide sounstage and I would say that there is more seperation in the soundstage, things just appear "bigger and wider" with the M44-7 than the M55E altough I'm still refreshing my lug'oles with regards the sonic presentation of the M55E, things are a little different in that I'm not using a JICO stylus so presentation is somewhat different to what I'm used to. Maybe I've been biased after reading Jim's post but I would also say that things appear a little polite with the M55E compared to the M44-7, less shrill, less edge and more rounded notes. I'm thinking this could be down to the large difference in mV output. The M55E sits at 6.2mV out and denpending upon which Shure catalouge your reading the M44-7 is either 9.5 or 11mv !!! I will probably have to do something with the cartridge loading with the M44-7 to make things sound less Shrill. I still have 29 hours to put on the M55E so less typing and more listening...

Stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Always felt I was only just in control with the M55E but enjoyed its exuberant bouncy big sound. Great analogue dynamics and with some material like rock and jazz it can be just what you need.

The M44-7 made me feel I had lost control of my system and a wall of sound was coming at me. Slightly unrefined but fun in a bombastic way. I am sure with the right set up and amps it could be tamed but as I mentioned it is not a cartridge for the feint hearted. Amazing what Shure got out of this cartridge and makes modern cartridges sound puny and polite but much more in control?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I think my head is beginning to spin! Fascinating reading, especially the second link.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Shure Adventures Pt 6 - Technical mumbo jumbo

Being a member of multiple forums has its benefits. This has to be the most in depth analysis of Shure Cartridges I have ever seen.

A very very big thanks to the chap over on PFM for this article.

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answer...hnical-seminar

I have saved this as a PDF and will from time to time read this at my own leisure to try and digest how these excellent cartridges work.

I did say that this would be a very very indepth analysis of the Shure Cartridges. Part of understanding something is research and as a scientist I need to do loads of research. This project is an on going experiment and will probably take many months of evaluation before I reach any conclusions. A lot of work has already been undertaken. We have placed 30 hours on one cartridge stylus, overcome a loading problem with one phonostage and are currently puttinf the 30 hours on the second stylus. Updates may be slow but I shall from time to time update the thread, a bit like my Garrard 301 thread that's been rumbling on for over a decade. .

I'll probably write some more tomorrow, stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Link doesn't work for me, but the three links you provided have already caused brain overload for me.

At least I can understand now why Shure enthusiasts dislike and avoid Shure products made in Mexico.
    Barry

I'm James.

I better get a bigger tub of popcorn then!

I'm Andrew.

SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Shure Adventures Pt 7 - Nearly......

I've not forgotton about this experiment. Time, as always seems limited. I did intend to try and run the new M55E stylus in over 15 hours and try and get some experience in listening to its presentation. This has not happened. I've had the M55E stylus play a run-out groove for 5 hours today to hopefully break things in a little. The new stylus has had approx 15-16 hours so I think I can start to make some listening notes at some point. I'm not doing anything tonight apart from listening to some Jazz on the main 301 system. I'll hopefully start at some point this week. This experiment is slowly-slowly, it's meant as a bit of fun and hopefully I can come to some conclusions regarding the M44 and M55 carts of which I'll detail in the weeks/months ahead.

Stay tuned....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Interesting reading Andrew. How does the stylus on the M55e sound? I bought a stylus off Ebay but it sounds pretty cack. Do they still sell them. Link please.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast