+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quad IIs

I'm John.

Default Quad IIs

Hi, My beautiful Quad IIs have started producing a very loud buzzing noise through my speakers.
    Any views on the best place to get them sorted/serviced? I live quite close to Huntingdon but have heard that the Quad workshops are not what they were.
    Cheers John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Alan.

Both at the same time? That sounds coincidental.

What are you driving them from? Can you disconnect the inputs to the amps to see if they are still making the noise?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Both at the same time? That sounds coincidental.

What are you driving them from? Can you disconnect the inputs to the amps to see if they are still making the noise?
    Yes it does seem more likely to be a problem upstream.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm John.

Thanks for answers. i have unplugged the pre-amp but the Quads are still sending our a deafening noise through the speakers.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Dave.

To answer your first post, get them off to Quad service. Nothing wrong with them at all except they are not particularly fast due to the large volume of repairs and service they tackle. They have many decades of products to look after.

+ Reply to Thread