+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croft Phonostage - Unique Build!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Interesting selection of valves used by Glenn back then, would you be able to detail them and their positions in the topology ? You could have some great fun/results rolling some of those for sure. They were also the reason Glenn moved mainly to JJ ECC83s in his later designs as these were more readily available although I am sure some of those in that amp you have can still be sourced?
    I've had the JJ's Ecc83's before but I'm not a fan. I'm a Mullard bloke M8137's.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

The JJs are very poor in the phono section but OK in the regulation, anywhere they don't influence the sound too much. Tesla ECC83 are on a different planet.

The preamp although slightly utilitarian is in a great case and uses quality components throughout. I expect some of those valves maybe bettered but I would say all better than ECC83 implementation ?

I had the chance to buy so many of the preamps Glenn produced over the years but only ever bought the Micro and the Croft 25R. I did listen to nearly all the iterations of preamps he built and most of his power amps. Some were never seen by many as they were one offs, a bit like yours, all besboke items.

His Dakshini OTL power amp was superb and I had that for a short while. However the one amp that bent my brain was his OTL Cypher mono blocks. I think they were £10,000 a pair way back and were built in fantastic quality cases the like which he never used again. The amps themselves were fairly low power (15W output) 6A7SG but the grip and control they had on the speakers and the SQ was mind bending. Bet not many folk have ever heard these. If you see any for sale BUY!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Josie.

A very nice phono stage. From the best era of Croft IMO. But why keep things secret? lol
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    I've been keeping this one (not so) secret. I had an oppotunity to buy this Phonostage from a famous cartridge designer/modder. It's his personal phonostage that he asked Glenn Croft to build and was used to "voice" his cartridges. I'm a little bored, so here are some pictures.

…..

………

Any thoughts or comments?
    What is the purpose of the “short circuit” option and “balancing system”?
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12