Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
Yeah, didn't really expect the detachable headshell, it's more the lack of lift/lower that concerns me. The detachable headshell is so I can use the Decca 'heads' I have for 78, Mono and Stereo. They were designed to work with the Decca arm, but I reckon I can do better than that.

I already have 6 turntables, so I don't really want any more.
One of the privileges of setting up SUPATRAC has been conversations with people who have nearly enough turntables!

I do intend to develop a retro-fittable lever lift at some point, but quite a few customers have been surprised by how well the string works. My own long experience of lever lifts on arms like Linns, Regas, and Technics is that every now and then a slight misjudgment can cause the lowered stylus to fall off the side of the outer edge of the record, with catastrophic potential. This does not happen with the string because you don't release it until you're sure the stylus has engaged with the groove. IMO once you are used to using it, the better ergonomics of the string make you less nervous than a lever. I know that doesn't contradict aesthetic reservations, but I put function/usability second after sound.