+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTD-Rogers LS7 original single bass driver

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Don, have you tried Harbeth themselves? Spendor's Terry Miles is now working alongside Alan there and as Terry was the 'wizz' who could properly restore BC1 bass drivers (bear with me), he or Harbeth may now have the skills and maybe time to rebuild old Harbeth drivers. Retrotone can off service old Rogers speakers so again, there just may be a way in to getting HL III drivers fixed.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Dave,

Good to see you posting here, after what seems like a long absence.
    Barry

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Don, have you tried Harbeth themselves? Spendor's Terry Miles is now working alongside Alan there and as Terry was the 'wizz' who could properly restore BC1 bass drivers (bear with me), he or Harbeth may now have the skills and maybe time to rebuild old Harbeth drivers. Retrotone can off service old Rogers speakers so again, there just may be a way in to getting HL III drivers fixed.
    Hi Dave
    thank you very much for your valuable response....yes, i could get my early Rogers repaired...I have the "chosen one" for speaker repairs...but he is soooo busy, he's had my wrecked 12" HPD's since last October, and reckons they'll be done for July...2021 that is!

I wouldn't be suprised thou if Harbeth charged a small fortune for the service...? I did join the Harbeth forum, and asked His Royal Highness (Alan) what Rogers mid/bass unit was used in the HL 3's, but I didn't get a response....they prefer to yap about current models rather than talk about their classics....

So, to get these Hl's sorted sooner rather than later, the master plan is to use the LS7's mid/bass units which is very very similar, but with a bigger magnet. I have one installed already, and I've picked up a new pair of Audax (improved over the orginal, but look the same) Tweeters. HL 3's: Not a bad speaker at all...love the uplifting midrange and controlled bass...Harwood did a good job me thinks!

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hello Dave,

Good to see you posting here, after what seems like a long absence.
    +1

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Thanks for greets. I'm weaning myself off forums now but it's damned hard and is taking time. My ears aren't what they were (understatement) and objective tests mean more than ever to me, but this doesn't jive at all with the almost totally subjective nature of the audio forums I've frequented over the years and to be honest, I've all but given up now as I'm peeing into a VERY strong wind of opposition... In any case, the gear I once knew when fresh out of the box is now decades old and changed/gone off/whatever, so I'm out of step there too. if you trust your ears implicitly to tell you what's what in HiFi-land, then good on ya, but I can't and don't any more...

The original HL had a reduced midband (Dudley, Gawd rest his soul, couldn't use speech I understand - it's all documented due to his religious beliefs I believe on the HUG), but he soon corrected this and the HLmk2 and then the III we sold in large quantities, the more 'open mouthed' but still silky tones worked well with late 70's vinyl and LP12 sources (Hadcock, Missioin 774 and Grace 707 for us rather than the Ittok which I now realise killed the fruitbox for years until the Cirkus came along).

I only came back as I had a PM chat with Alan and he was genuinely thinking it might be a nice idea to consider somehow refurbishing old Harbeth units as much as possible. It obviously depends if the proper spec suspension parts can be obtained and suitable coils fabricated or obtained and of course that horrible money situation comes in - Harbeth are a successful business and not a charity! Mind you, I suspect Retrotone refurbing old Rogers models won't be cheap either, but they now advertise it if anyone's interested in looking.

https://www.rogers-hifi.uk/restorations-and-upgrades

I'd also suggest Lenco owners investigate the Retrotone unipivot arm (looks like the Edwards Audio stand alone version) which may prevent 75 and 78 decks being needlessly carved up..

https://www.retrotone.co.uk/product/...les-gl75-gl78/

I know the LS7 driver could be used (not sure how well) with a certain pair of 8" poly-driver BBC monitors from the 80's (!) but the larger magnet might lift the mids too much on the HL III's (maybe not an issue in these to be fair). Worth getting a Umik 1 microphone and free REW software to get a rough idea what they're doing in-room and maybe against a known reference... Loads on ASR about this way of doing things if I dare mention that site.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Don.

Still looking for a Rogers LS7 bas/mid driver.....

I'm Don.

Default Still looking for a Rogers LS7 bas/mid driver.....

Still looking for a Rogers LS7 bass/mid driver.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12