+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A tale of 2 Techies

I'm Stephen.

Default A tale of 2 Techies

I've just finished refurbing a fairly old SL1210 (had the bearing with plastic gear). The aim here was to keep the looks as close as possible to factory default but add a few relatively inexpensive upgrades that I reckoned would bring the greatest sonic improvement for the least outlay. I intentionally kept the original arm (actually a used one off eBay).
    Here's what I did:
    1 Top plate/ plinth professionally repainted and screen print logos.
    2 New toroidal PSU
    3 New OEM bearing with KAB thrust plate and support wax.
    4 New power, stop/start and speed selector switches and LED's
    5 Tonearm rewire direct to KAB external phono jack's
    6 KAB fluid damper
    7 LP Gear AT 95 VL cartridge
    8 Oyaide BR 12 mat
    9 Isokinetik sorbothane feet boots

Even allowing for the inevitable new project bias I have to say it sounds absolutely superb.

The reason for the post title is that I'm comparing it to my highly modded 1210 with MN bearing, external PSU, FUNK platter and Mission 774 arm with DL-103R and I have to say the "cheap" deck more than holds it's own.
    Very musical, great lush mid range tone and clear sharp treble with no hardnesses. Bass is deep and tuneful.

In comparison to the "expensive" Techy there is not quite so much space and air around instruments/voices, the soundstage is a little recessed and not as "3D", bass slam is a tad muted with perhaps a bit of bleeding of leading and trailing notes. However, these are pretty minor and I'm listening hard to discern the differences that (surely) must be there given the difference in specs.

Bottom line is that I could quite happily live with this TT as my only vinyl source. I won't of course and I don't actually have space for it as the last photo shows so I'll probably end up selling it now the project is completed.

Just goes to show you do not have to spend a fortune to get very good sound.

Steve

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Spartacus.

Thanks for sharing. That looks great. I've always said the SL1200 arm is very good after a rewire. It also shows that a lot of improvements are really only marginal. Would be good to hear you report back on that arm and same cart on your modded deck.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Steve.

Hi Steve,

Nice pictures and ideas. Nice to know what the sound differences are. I am at the point of either going the 1210 route with such mods or buying good vintage. Can’t make my mind up.

What tonearm wire?

I have a Edwards Audio ISO 1 Linear Isolation unit that I simply plug into. It made a tiny difference to the Technics SL150 sound, but worked really well feeding the preamp.

I packed the Techy SL150 bearing base with 3 packets of blue tack and pushed about 2Lbs of a plasticky modelling clay type material called New Plast into the aluminium chassis and 2 Lbs into the awfully thin base. This made a big difference to the sound, much warmer.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    Thanks for sharing. That looks great. I've always said the SL1200 arm is very good after a rewire. It also shows that a lot of improvements are really only marginal.
    Agreed.
    I can't see me putting the arm on the other Techy - if I get fed up with the Mission 774 I've got a Jelco TK850s but TBH the Mission is a much better match.
    Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleton View Post
    Hi Steve,

What tonearm wire?
    I used Isokinetic silver litz - nice and easy to work with. I rewired my third Mission 774 with Cardas yesterday which is perhaps easier as it's thinner.
    Always a little further

I'm Graham.

Hi Stephen, that looks lovely, great job.
    I had the stock arm of a 1510 mk1 rewired by Angus and it made a nice improvement, so not surprised this sounds good

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Hi Stephen, that looks lovely, great job.
    I had the stock arm of a 1510 mk1 rewired by Angus and it made a nice improvement, so not surprised this sounds good
    Thanks Graham - I'm pleased the way it turned out. The guy who refurbished the chassis made an excellent job of it. I just wish I had more space

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Mick.

When I striped my highly modified 1210 turntable I put it back to some what standard. I put the original bearing platter and the stock arm was shrink wrapped and rewired with Litz cable and internally damped with foam. Even after all the money I had spent this standard ish turntable sounded pretty good. if you have the money every little helps when modding. Sometimes you end up looking at the kit you have modified rather than just listening to the music.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Andrew.

Great thread. Ive not modded mine in probably 5 years. Always nice to see something new.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Lee.

Can you say how much of a difference the jab oil damper made to the sound?
    Also did changing the psu make much difference?
    Thanks
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

+ Reply to Thread