+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for bookshelf speakers and sub

I'm Loz.

Default Recommendations for bookshelf speakers and sub

Hi all. I'm asking for recommendations on behalf of my friend. He wants bookshelf size speakers and a subwoofer. Space is limited for him as he has a young family. He has a 1210 and will be streaming. His budget is up to £1000 new or used.

I'm Martin.

The old Yamaha YST SW series subs can be bought pretty cheap s/h now, various sizes and powers to suit for around £100. They have internal amplification and the cut off goes from 40 to 120 hz on most of them so can be dialled in to suit any speaker that rolls of in the bass around 70-100 hz. Reliable and good build quality unlike the plastic-fantastic modern stuff.

Partner with - ideally - an infinite baffle speaker of choice. That's the hard bit. KEFs from the 1970s or early '80s like the 'C' series spring to mind but there's loads of options. Or the KEF 'Eggs' or B&W Solids which are both bloody good and can be got cheap. No need to spend a grand for this IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

b&w 607 s2 anniversary with b&w asw610 sub . new around the budget and they are extremely good speakers for the money .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    b&w 607 s2 anniversary with b&w asw610 sub . new around the budget and they are extremely good speakers for the money .
    I was thinking B&W too. Look to be well built, are nicely finished, and all the ones I've heard have sounded good. Me and my brother have had a few over the years.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Phil.

Yes the finish is very good even though it's vinyl wrap , delightful with vocals and piano and all genres . If I had to I could live with them full time

I'm Loz.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. He will check those out. I should add he has a Sonos sub already which he likes and is looking for ways to integrate that. He mentioned the Sonos Amplifier which has Speaker inputs, RCA inputs apparantly. He likes the 'look' of the Kef LS50's. These seem to be well thought of speakers.

I'm Martin.

The Sonos amp is pretty poor performer with analogue in, I'd avoid it if he wants to use a turntable.

The LS50 are okay, he could do a lot worse for the money.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ian.

When i was on the lookout for some bookshelf speakers for a second system at a sensible price i looked at celestion A1, a1, compact but prices getting a bit silly these days. I ended up with kef 101/3. I have a pair of rogers ls4/too, great speaker for peanuts. Sub wise it has to be rel strata 3 on the speaker terminals, if he really needs one.

I'm Loz.

Thanks again for the advice. I've pointed him in this direction

I'm matt.

Sealed speakers are much easier to integrate with a subwoofer. My old MK2 Kans and a Rel Strata 5 Subwoofer were awesome.

I wouldn't touch the Kef LS50 with a barge pole.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast