+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use an "Audiophile" ADSL cable?

I'm Darren.

Default Anyone use an "Audiophile" ADSL cable?

Having been impressed by the improvement in streaming quality by installing Supra Cat8 patch leads, I'm interested in what, if any, benefit an upgraded ADSL RJ11 cable would offer. I've ordered some RJ11 plugs to knock up my own Cat 6 cable and flushed with excitement, I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with "upgraded" ADSL cables?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Jacques.

Those are scams. Trade person speaking.
    If it's broke fix it.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Cat6 cables have 4 pairs of conductors.
    RJ11 plugs can cope with 3 pairs maximum.
    ADSL connection uses just 1 pair of conductors.

Give it a rest Darren.
    It'll make sod all difference.
    As it's ADSL cable you mentioned, organise the telephone cabling appropriately and things will run to the best of their potential.

Since you mentioned Cat8 patch cables, how do you measure the "improvement"?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Cat6 cables have 4 pairs of conductors.
    RJ11 plugs can cope with 3 pairs maximum.
    ADSL connection uses just 1 pair of conductors.
    I am aware of that, the cable would be constructed the same way i.e. 1 pair, just using Cat 6. The "theory" being that solid core is better than multi-strand.

Give it a rest Darren.
    It'll make sod all difference.
    As it's ADSL cable you mentioned, organise the telephone cabling appropriately and things will run to the best of their potential.
    That's really what I'm expecting, but at £1.85 for a pack of 20 plugs it's an experiment too cheap not to try.

Since you mentioned Cat8 patch cables, how do you measure the "improvement"?
    Only with my eyes and ears. I've replaced the lead between my BT Router (essentially acting as a modem) to my TP Link Archer C9 and then from the TP Link to the Panny and Xbox. At each stage I've noticed a reduction in noise and subsequent improvement in clarity, depth, colour and perceived detail. I'll be the first to acknowledge that this is not quantifiable in any way and due to the nature of streaming offers no reliable or repeatable testing method, so this is purely my opinion having had the last pair of leads in my system for a week.

I was sceptical to say the least about the benefit a patch lead could offer so I've picked up the cables second hand, which also has the benefit of them already being burnt in (where's the tongue in cheek emoji??).
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Save ya money mate, it'll make not a jot of difference.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    I am aware of that, the cable would be constructed the same way i.e. 1 pair, just using Cat 6. The "theory" being that solid core is better than multi-strand.

That's really what I'm expecting, but at £1.85 for a pack of 20 plugs it's an experiment too cheap not to try.

Only with my eyes and ears. I've replaced the lead between my BT Router (essentially acting as a modem) to my TP Link Archer C9 and then from the TP Link to the Panny and Xbox. At each stage I've noticed a reduction in noise and subsequent improvement in clarity, depth, colour and perceived detail. I'll be the first to acknowledge that this is not quantifiable in any way and due to the nature of streaming offers no reliable or repeatable testing method, so this is purely my opinion having had the last pair of leads in my system for a week.

I was sceptical to say the least about the benefit a patch lead could offer so I've picked up the cables second hand, which also has the benefit of them already being burnt in (where's the tongue in cheek emoji??).
    You should read this Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Following on from Chris's (and others) comments, I spend about £15 on Cat 6 UTP cable and 10 large ferrite chokes, mostly now fitted. I had already installed loads of smaller ones.
    Very surprised about the result and it took some time to assimilate in my old brain. The initial impression was that I had lost the ambience in the recording, by that I mean the echo quality-well, you know what I mean. This had been present in most music, from stored digital or high quality internet radio, but was mostly absent now.
    I realised though that the quality of the reproduction was better in other respects- vocals had more presence, there was a crispness to the sound and a better sense of where instruments were positioned including depth.
    So the ambience that I had enjoyed for years is, by enlarge, not supposed to be there? At the moment, apart from feeling slightly stupid, I think that I have gained from the accuracy of reproduction but lost an old friend in the artifical ambience.
    As you will not have properly grounded the screens on the ethernet patch cables you use, you are putting aerials into your setup, and you're enjoying the delights of introducing RFI into the system.
    You're adding stuff I've been trying to remove for quite a bit.
    Chris

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Save ya money mate, it'll make not a jot of difference.
    The same has been said of USB cables, I take it from the one listed in your sig, you decided to find out for yourself and were happy with the results. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but you haven't said I've tried X,Y,Z and here are my findings, you've simply made a judgement without experimentation or background, just like the "USB Cables Make No Difference" threads that used to be so prevalent Anyway it's too late, I've already spent the £1.85 required to build the cable.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm Darren.

You should read this Darren.
    Do you have a link to the thread please?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    The same has been said of USB cables, I take it from the one listed in your sig, you decided to find out for yourself and were happy with the results. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but you haven't said I've tried X,Y,Z and here are my findings, you've simply made a judgement without experimentation or background, just like the "USB Cables Make No Difference" threads that used to be so prevalent Anyway it's too late, I've already spent the £1.85 required to build the cable.
    Have you got a crimper for the plugs?
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast