+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Dac?

I'm Lloyd.

I got through quite a few pages of this thread before seeing others using the same DAC as my main one, being a BenchMark DAC1 HDR, which i use for CD (MF A5 & Marantz 6000OSE Ki if i'm not using their onboard dacs) and as a pre going via XLR to Cyrus Mono Xs. the BM does sterling work both as the DAC & Pre.

I also have and i think this is a new one for the thread ?? a JDS Labs EL Dac ...this i use as both a TV and Computer DAC feeding it into a Cyrus 6XP, also it sees use feeding a JDS Labs EL Amp for headphone use in a 2nd system which was what i originally bought it for ...which they call the "EL STACK" apparently

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    I've only recently discovered dacs exist as individual components.

I guess there's some form of one inside all sorts of devices, my smartphone, my iPod, my computer, TV, PVR etc... none of which I really listen to music on at home - or anywhere else generally.

I can't see my need for a separate dac.

Sent using Tapatalk
    If you don't listen to digitally encoded music then you don't need a DAC

I was sceptical that a separate DAC would improve on the one in the CD player but it did. It also functions as a pre-amp, which is handy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you don't listen to digitally encoded music then you don't need a DAC

I was sceptical that a separate DAC would improve on the one in the CD player but it did. It also functions as a pre-amp, which is handy.
    I totally get why a custom unit might be a lot better than a built in unit. I had never before pondered the possible need for one.

I guess most self contained kit is built to a budget or has size constraints, all manner of compromises being made. So anything built as a dedicated unit should sound better.

However, then of course you get into the sticky mud of this thread, is it better or just different, well mostly they will of course all sound slightly, or wildly, different to each other, but which do you prefer.

Then of course, if I have a DAC, and it sounds great, it could make my vinyl collection redundant... something else that puts me off seems to be the typical digital issue of changing specs and standards DSD64, DSD128 and no doubt 256 and 1K etc to come..? Bit rates and frequencies rising in an effort to make a digital signal closer to the analogue original (assuming that's what it was)... It reminds me of the early computer days the endless upgrades, rebuilds etc...

Is it not the equivalent of a comb-over?

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Geoff.

The standard for CD was set ages ago: https://www.travsonic.com/red-book-cd-format/

Anything else alluded to is just 'puff and fluff'.

That has no bearing on the fact that DACs have hugely varying sound quality.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jacques.

No DAC per se. Just the ones in my CD players and computers.
    They are perfectly adequate, and I can’t really tell them apart, to be honest.
    When needed I use this:
    https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/dac-s...n-p-11056.html
    If it's broke fix it.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    I totally get why a custom unit might be a lot better than a built in unit. I had never before pondered the possible need for one.

I guess most self contained kit is built to a budget or has size constraints, all manner of compromises being made. So anything built as a dedicated unit should sound better.

However, then of course you get into the sticky mud of this thread, is it better or just different, well mostly they will of course all sound slightly, or wildly, different to each other, but which do you prefer.

Then of course, if I have a DAC, and it sounds great, it could make my vinyl collection redundant... something else that puts me off seems to be the typical digital issue of changing specs and standards DSD64, DSD128 and no doubt 256 and 1K etc to come..? Bit rates and frequencies rising in an effort to make a digital signal closer to the analogue original (assuming that's what it was)... It reminds me of the early computer days the endless upgrades, rebuilds etc...

Is it not the equivalent of a comb-over?
    I think the benefits of adding a stand-alone DAC will vary depending on the existing DAC and its implementation. Personally I think power supplies have a lot to do with this and in cheaper CD players these are not optimal.

I agree that 'Better' may be just 'Different but I prefer it.' Personally I just went for a DAC with lowest possible noise and distortion. Had it sounded no different I would have returned it for a full refund. However it did sound sufficiently different from the built-in DAC that I kept it.

Differences tend to be exaggerated in user testimony, especially with DACs, but then we are enthusiasts so small differences still matter to us.

I would not worry about DSD etc, it is all marketing. 16/44.1 is more than sufficient for playback, there is nothing missed or lost within the range of hearing, it is essentially the master tape/file.

Yes, your vinyl collection could become redundant, that has happened to me, although I don't miss the expense or the faff. If that's a concern, avoid digital audio like the plague!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Have to say that in my limited experience (ie dacs available for under £600) The Elements Dac is the best I have ever heard.
    I remember when I got mine, it redefined what my amp and speakers were capable of. Before that I had been considering trying something else in both fields.

I foolishly sold it last year, which I have regretted more than once since.

What HiFI suck- I never listen to anything they say!

Yes, I agree on the Leema. It was like opening a door! I realised just how much musical information was missing using the Arcam (admittedly almost a quarter of the price). The Leema has so much clarity and musicality, and it’s a fantastic Pre Amp as well. Lovely bit of kit.

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think the benefits of adding a stand-alone DAC will vary depending on the existing DAC and its implementation. Personally I think power supplies have a lot to do with this and in cheaper CD players these are not optimal.
    Wise words from Martin. The implementation can make or break a dac.

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post

Yes, I agree on the Leema. It was like opening a door! I realised just how much musical information was missing using the Arcam (admittedly almost a quarter of the price). The Leema has so much clarity and musicality, and it’s a fantastic Pre Amp as well. Lovely bit of kit.
    Sometimes Rob I wonder if I will end up with another one. Which Arcam were you using?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Sometimes Rob I wonder if I will end up with another one. Which Arcam were you using?
    The mDAC. I grabbed it secondhand for about a tonne, and was blown away by its grip and detail. It resides in my office now and is used for remastering work with my iMac, Arcam A85 amp and Edifier S3000 Pros.

What I do love about it is its utter musicality. Smooth and crisp, and with soul. I think it was about £400 new so not a bargain bin DAC by any stretch, and of course it plays very nicely with Arcam amplifiers. Cracking thing - but not a patch on the Leema.

It is however much better than my Audiolab M-DAC which has been left at my ex’s house for the kids. Whilst I quite liked it when I bought it, I now find it too shrill and hard edged, even after modifying the PSU and playing with the myriad of filters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast