+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

I'm Denzil.

Default The biggest debate in the history of humankind -Tannoy crossovers original vs new.

Hi,

I've just finished building a pair of cabinets for my Tannoy Monitor Gold 15's. They were originally in sealed Lancaster cabinets. There's a huge, dramatic improvement in the sound quality overall with the new cabinets. I've used new crossovers. I'm not saying anything at this point about my experience between the old and new crossovers but would like to know from all the experts here :

1. Is it better to buy good new crossovers, will good new crossovers sound better than the original ? if so from where should one buy ?
    2. Is it better to just clean up the old crossovers, switches etc and not change anything ?
    3. Is it better to change caps, switches etc in the old crossovers ?

The idea is to get the best sound out of the MG 15's.

Looking forward to lots of feedback !

Regards,

Denzil

These are photos of my speakers, cabinets built at home.

https://www.instagram.com/elsewheregoa

I'm Geoff.

You'll get loads of varying opinions on that question, most of which I'll probably disagree with. I'll give my thoughts in due course.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You'll get loads of varying opinions on that question, most of which I'll probably disagree with. I'll give my thoughts in due course.
    Hahaha. Looking forward to hearing from you (in due course)

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

They look really nice Denzil, good job
    Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Hahaha. Looking forward to hearing from you (in due course)
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Adam.

As already said, this will divide opinions!

I can only comment on my own experience.
    Paul at RFC built my external xovers from
    Scratch and compared to the unmolested originals it was chalk and cheese.

I have to state I never had the originals recapped so probably not a fair comparison in that respect but I’ve never thought about the money the xovers cost as the results were truly outstanding.

Other users of Tannoy drivers far more experienced than I have also gone on record to say they are the single biggest upgrade made to the system

Others will also say, don’t touch the original xovers as they were a good design already..

There is a lot that has been written about them on various platforms as well as here on AoS
    RFC xovers have also been victim to attempted copy clone xovers. Paul is as knowledgeable as they come when it comes to understanding how to get the best from these great drivers..
    I had my xovers made for my 12” Monitor Golds.
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 26-05-2020 at 10:21.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    They look really nice Denzil, good job
    Thanks Tony !

There's another thread which you may not have seen showing how they were built.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Tannoy-MG-15-s

Regards,

Denzil

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    As already said, this will divide opinions!

I can only comment on my own experience.
    Paul at RFC built my external xovers from
    Scratch and compared to the unmolested originals it was chalk and cheese.

I have to state I never had the originals recapped so probably not a fair comparison in that respect but I’ve never thought about the money the xovers cost as the results were truly outstanding.

Other users of Tannoy drivers far more experienced than I have also gone on record to say they are the single biggest upgrade made to the system

Others will also say, don’t touch the original xovers as they were a good design already..

There is a lot that has been written about them on various platforms as well as here on AoS
    RFC xovers have also been victim to attempted copy clone xovers. Paul is as knowledgeable as they come when it comes to understanding how to get the best from these great drivers..
    I had my xovers made for my 12” Monitor Golds.
    Thanks for your feedback Adam !

Yes, I've been hearing a lot about Paul's crossovers on various forums and everyone says they are outstanding.

Regards,

Denzil

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Thanks Tony !

There's another thread which you may not have seen showing how they were built.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Tannoy-MG-15-s

Regards,

Denzil
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Lawrence.

I've got no experience with Tannoy crossovers so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but... one thing I've learned from playing with crossovers is that some of them have been voiced around the limitations of the components. One obvious example is the ESR of the caps, so putting a clarity cap instead of an Alcap for example can do more than just "improve" the resolution, it can also effect the balance of the drivers. What might seem like more detail can just be a 0.5-1db lift in treble output.

That's nothing to do with bottom up redesigns like I imagine Paul does, you pay not just for the components and the time and skill spent making the crossovers, but also years of dedication to fine tuning the components to get the best out of the speakers.

I'm Denzil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I've got no experience with Tannoy crossovers so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but... one thing I've learned from playing with crossovers is that some of them have been voiced around the limitations of the components. One obvious example is the ESR of the caps, so putting a clarity cap instead of an Alcap for example can do more than just "improve" the resolution, it can also effect the balance of the drivers. What might seem like more detail can just be a 0.5-1db lift in treble output.

That's nothing to do with bottom up redesigns like I imagine Paul does, you pay not just for the components and the time and skill spent making the crossovers, but also years of dedication to fine tuning the components to get the best out of the speakers.
    That makes a lot of sense Lawrence ! Thanks for your opinion.

Denzil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast