Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
Hi Blake , i no they are the split suspension but is the top of the small post on yours flat or recessed to take the ball, ?
i am glad to hear the switch turned up ,
pete
Hi Pete:

I have the recessed posts. I've done a fair bit of listening today. It's difficult when you make one change so quickly after another and I have not had the pylons in play all that long.

Bear in mind also that I have a plinthed Gyro with the motor attached to the plinth and then the feet/suspension posts attached to the plinth as well, so the benefits that I might get from this latest tweak may outweigh those with a SE type Gyro. Just more chances for vibration to feed into the suspension in my version of the table.

But I am liking what I'm hearing. With the Herbie's material used to isolate the two posts from one another I seem to be getting a much more fleshed out presentation. It's hard to describe but the effect is really positive. It's almost like there's more "texture" to the music and you can hear more into the performance at the same time. More detail and more relaxed and natural at the same time. Music just flows better as well-it brings to mind the Linn "PRAT" thing.

Definitely not in the league of the pylon upgrade but a real positive nonetheless.

I also punched some discs out of one of those small rubber mats you use to take stubborn locked on lids/caps off bottles and jars. A little more dense and slightly thicker as well with these but not much and the positives were not anywhere near what was achieved with the Herbies material-I felt the sound was a bit thinned out and hi-fi-ish with these in place of the Black Hole material. But some might prefer that presentation as this is such a subjective hobby. In any event, there's clearly something in it in terms of isolating this way and different materials are likely to have very very different effects on sound quality I think.

I also experimented with another Herbies product on the underside of the platter where it interfaces with the main bearing. This was not a success for me as I found it kind of tipped up the presentation and smeared things at the same time so I reverted to the standard setup there. Maybe I just had the wrong material there but that one just did not work out for me.