+ Reply to Thread
Page 272 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372772 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 11761

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No, daftee, hence why I said "whenever possible"

However, if I were going to the Caribbean (or indeed anywhere else further afield than Europe), I'd still hire a car when I got there, to tour around. Sorry, I'm not into just lazing around on beaches. I need to see and do lots of different things, and not be stuck in the one place (a resort) for 2 weeks, as I'd be bored stiff. And Del's the same.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm sorted.

Different strokes I guess, mind you the last caribbean island we went to you could see all the sights in a day (Aruba) & cabs were dirt cheap so no need to drive.

Off to Barbados in September, bit more to explore there but doubt I'll get further than the nearest watch shop.

I'm Steve.

My mate uses a Virgin Atlantic Business card for purchasing all of his building material, and the air miles he clocks up funds his upgrade to first class (or business class or whatever) for him and his missus. In this way he tells me his holiday starts in the airport bar.

My flights are so cheap and crappy that my holiday starts when I've made a brew in the hotel room and am sitting on the balcony with it. Then I can spend the next seven days dreading the return flight
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adam.

This is the way to do it. I have both a British Airways credit card and a Virgin Atlantic one. so have most destinations covered!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Different strokes I guess, mind you the last caribbean island we went to you could see all the sights in a day (Aruba) & cabs were dirt cheap so no need to drive.

Off to Barbados in September, bit more to explore there but doubt I'll get further than the nearest watch shop.
    Yeah over there you can get a car with a driver at your disposal all day for 80 bucks, means you can stop off for a bevvy or two on your way around without worrying about it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post

Defo different strokes. The taxi thing wouldn't appeal either, as that would still tie us down to relying on public transport, plus I'd love the sense of adventure/thrill of driving a car in a country I'd never been to before, and going off the beaten track! Exploring, for us, is essential.

We like to mix with the locals, and go into small towns/villages and get a REAL feel for the country and its people - especially the food! I'd be wanting to find some little restaurant, tucked down a side street, full of locals, serving the most amazing traditional Caribbean dishes, and most likely for buttons...

Rarely, when we're anywhere (apart from on city breaks for a long weekend) do we do the tourist thing, or for that matter go full board in hotels - always just B&B, so we can choose where we want to eat for our main meals, often somewhere we've discovered whilst out in the car.

Wherever tourists are, especially Brits [as the type you meet abroad tend to be nightmares], we'll go in the opposite direction!!

Enjoy Barbados, when it comes, mate. I'm sure you'll have a great time

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    My mate uses a Virgin Atlantic Business card for purchasing all of his building material, and the air miles he clocks up funds his upgrade to first class (or business class or whatever) for him and his missus. In this way he tells me his holiday starts in the airport bar.

My flights are so cheap and crappy that my holiday starts when I've made a brew in the hotel room and am sitting on the balcony with it. Then I can spend the next seven days dreading the return flight
    Lol - I get a quick wash, then it's straight down to the hotel bar for a cold beer! Feck tea or coffee, especially in hot weather, and considering the shit quality stuff you'll find in most hotel rooms... I guess that Brits are interminable tea jennies After that, we'll go out exploring, presuming that there's something there to explore.

Never drink in airport bars either... That's a nightmare [pisshead behaviour], especially with having to go on a plane afterwards. You get dehydrated enough there without suffering from the effects of alcohol!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    This is the way to do it. I have both a British Airways credit card and a Virgin Atlantic one. so have most destinations covered!
    You obviously fly a lot. Before going to Austria two years ago, it was nearly 20 years since I'd been on a plane!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Never drink in airport bars either... That's a nightmare [pisshead behaviour], especially with having to go on a plane afterwards. You get dehydrated enough there without suffering from the effects of alcohol!

Marco.
    What?! My holiday officially starts when I’ve dropped my bags, gone through security and am sat in a bar with my first pint in front of me, or a glass of champers if I’m in an airport lounge!

Although on the Munich/Ireland flights I mentioned earlier you can substitute coffee as even I can no longer face alcohol at 6am...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - I get a quick wash, then it's straight down to the hotel bar for a cold beer! Feck tea or coffee, especially in hot weather, and considering the shit quality stuff you'll find in most hotel rooms... I guess that Brits are interminable tea jennies After that, we'll go out exploring, presuming that there's something there to explore.
    This, though - absolutely spot on!

+ Reply to Thread