+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High vs Low Level Sub Input

I'm Dave.

Default High vs Low Level Sub Input

You may have seen the post this week where I changed my Speaker Cable over to Fisual S-Flex 2.5mm ? Well on the old Ortofon cable I was using the High level Inputs into my BK XLS-200 Sub, and as a temporary measure I used the Sub out connection on my Yamaha A-S500 amp. The bass is a lot weaker on the sub out from the amp and turning up the gain it was ok but somethings missing it just didn't sound right to what I've become used to ? I've just changed back to High Lever now I know the S-Flex is staying, took a min or three to set it up on High Level compared to just plug in the RCA and adjust the gain on the Low Level, but well worth the time and effort.

I understand the rule of thumb is High Level for 2ch Stereo, and Low Level for a AV Amp, where it does indeed sound good connected to my Onkyo, but in my opinion the sub out on the Yamaha is reducing the amount of lower frequencies and I wonder why Yamaha fitted it in the first place ?

Your Thoughts
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Lawrence.

The manual doesn't say anything about how the sub out works. On an AV amp you can control the cutoff frequency but on this it must be preset. If it's set to below the frequency you use on the high level filter them you'll be missing some of the bass frequency. What sub are you using?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Pretty much my thoughts Lawrence, the sub is a BK XLS200 with high and low Level inputs, and no the Yamaha sub RCA Sub out is a fixed level, unlike my AV Onkyo which I can adjust the cut off.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Martin.

The subwoofer output on the Yamaha rolls off at 90Hz so it will not pass any frequencies higher than that to your sub. With high level connection you are passing the full frequency range. So it isn't the low bass you are missing when using the sub out but the bass frequencies above 90Hz.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Thanks Martin I did think as much, on the High Level the Sub is more involved in the music on 2ch Stereo, I've got the cut off at 100hz and its so much better than the occasional bass on normal music, maybe thats a bit high at 100hz but sounds fine till I play more varied music when the wife is out
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Martin.

Dave, high level connection should give you the best blending between the sub and speakers, this adds the tonal timbre of your amp into the sub path. The dali zensor 3s have response down to 50hz. So your cut off should be somewhere around that depending on the the bass roll off. If you persevere with a bit of tuning you should be able to get better integration than you currently will have at 90hz. You can get sub test tracks on you tube that slide the bass note so you can hear the level balance and the roll off roll on. Its worth spending some time on this.

The trick is to turn the levels down so you don’t actually notice the sub unless its hitting really big bass notes. This will give you the underpinned bass and bigger sound stage and musical cohesiveness.

I'm Dave.

To be honest Martin I've got up a couple of times to check the sub was not on the bass is so much better on the Dali 3s
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotist View Post
    To be honest Martin I've got up a couple of times to check the sub was not on the bass is so much better on the Dali 3s
    That just goes to show your not using the sub properly. The dalis should play all the bass down to about 50 hz the sub should only be playing an octave below that with some roll on and roll off.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    That just goes to show your not using the sub properly. The dalis should play all the bass down to about 50 hz the sub should only be playing an octave below that with some roll on and roll off.
    What I was saying is with the sub off I have a lot more bass than my previous speakers Martin, I got up to find the sub was indeed turned off
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

+ Reply to Thread