+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It wasn't the Monarchy SM-70. They are extremely revealing and transparent, but not harsh. I think it may even have been my old one you heard.

The Quad 707 (brother to the 606) I've been using is the complete opposite in character. A huge amount of 'oomph', but done very smoothly and calmly and the silkiest treble you could ask for.
    It was Geoff. It also had a brand new UK rated traffo. It is a very special amp and there's no harshness. Believe me.

Transparent, revealing and quite superb.

I was torn selling it but the Krell has allayed any worries I had.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mandryka View Post
    I’d be wary of cheap passive pre amps with quads, my experience with the Tisbury amp was not so positive, at least try and hear one with a 34 or 44 preamp too to compare.
    Agree. Just in general lol.

Get a good pre or NOTHING will sound as it should.

I'm Martin.

Have you got the same issue when using the Naim amplifier?

If so I'd suggest borrowing a set of speakers just so you can eliminate them as the problem. Usually distortion is amp related or amp/speaker mismatch. But could also be loose connections or a driver issue in the speakers.

Failing that the QUAD plus passive I suggested I guarantee will not sound harsh or hard. Buy them second hand, you won't lose any significant sum if you move them on later. That will at least give you a listenable system
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

I didn't get on with the Quad 606, used with a Croft pre I found it a bit woolly but as Martin says you can try most Quads & move them on easily, I only had the 606 for a fortnight & sold it on for what I paid for it.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandryka View Post
    I’d be wary of cheap passive pre amps with quads, my experience with the Tisbury amp was not so positive
    I'm not keen on the Tisbury either. The ultra cheap 'Little Bear' passive I got from China sounds way better, although it's not suited to use with Quad amps.

The Promitheus TVC pre-amp works very nicely with Quads, but they are getting scarce these days.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

It wasn't the Monarchy SM-70. They are extremely revealing and transparent, but not harsh. I think it may even have been my old one you heard.

The Quad 707 (brother to the 606) I've been using is the complete opposite in character. A huge amount of 'oomph', but done very smoothly and calmly and the silkiest treble you could ask for.
    Hi Geoff

I think the Monarchy was the one you owned,
    I now have it.
    Got it from Oliver.
    Would agree 100% with your comment on it's sound quality.
    The problem when Mike heard it was most certainly his Nak preamp.
    He's most welcome to listen again using my Dual Mono Dcb1, he'll find it a completely different beast to the Nak...

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm matt.

The ultra cheap 'Little Bear' passive I got from China sounds way better, although it's not suited to use with Quad amps.
    Why's it not suited to use with Quad amps?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Geoff

I think the Monarchy was the one you owned,
    I now have it.
    Got it from Oliver.
    Would agree 100% with your comment on it's sound quality.
    The problem when Mike heard it was most certainly his Nak preamp.
    He's most welcome to listen again using my Dual Mono Dcb1, he'll find it a completely different beast to the Nak...

Steve
    I wouldn't mind that Steve.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Edward.

Mike I have a Paul Baldwin 405 clone you are welcome to borrow, try out and return. If you like it you can buy it (it will be cheap.)

In many ways nicer than the 405/2 I had some years ago. All you need to do is arrange a courier to pick it up. And if you don't want it return it to Steve (we are due to meet up sometime) or courier it back.

PM if interested.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Mike I have a Paul Baldwin 405 clone you are welcome to borrow, try out and return. If you like it you can buy it (it will be cheap.)

In many ways nicer than the 405/2 I had some years ago. All you need to do is arrange a courier to pick it up. And if you don't want it return it to Steve (we are due to meet up sometime) or courier it back.

PM if interested.
    Thanks Edward, I'll see how I get on with the Monarchy again first, with a different pre, if Steves ok with that.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast