+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 156

Thread: Super Tweeters - Fact or Flights of Fancy?

  1. #31
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: S-ex

    Posts: 523
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    No idea of the value, I'll find the article this evening.
    I think there were two elements actually, the second to limit the lower frequency cut off, but in a very simple way.

    No further trickery required!
    Steve & Valerie

    www.electricbeachaudio.com

    If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

    A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

  2. #32
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Galashiels

    Posts: 14,034
    I'm inthescottishmafia.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Ali

    Colin's on his Tang Band project at the moment; I think we're more likely to see these than the Quads.

    Chris
    Aye I know,he's got plenty room in the car though!

  3. #33
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 9,143
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Aye I know,he's got plenty room in the car though!
    Yes I know, but that then means dragging the GM70 SE Monos to drive the Quads.......
    I think the best thing to do is just ask if he can bring them along.

    Chris

  4. #34
    Join Date: Dec 2008

    Location: Yorks

    Posts: 16,643
    I'm Nobody.


  5. #35
    Join Date: Mar 2009

    Location: Elland

    Posts: 6,922
    I'm David.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    No idea of the value, I'll find the article this evening.
    I think there were two elements actually, the second to limit the lower frequency cut off, but in a very simple way.

    No further trickery required!
    id quite like to have a crack at this too!
    i dont have the desire to spend hundreds to find out weather or not this supertweeter thing works for me, but id def have a go for less than £10
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

  6. #36
    Join Date: Mar 2009

    Location: Elland

    Posts: 6,922
    I'm David.

    Default

    from the maplins web site
    This tweeter is designed to give a wide dispersion pattern and is therefore ideal in stereo hi-fi systems and in high quality disco and PA systems. Piezo tweeters are capacitative therefore automatically reject low frequency power and are inherently high impedance. Therefore, this can be wired directly across a woofer without the need for a crossover. Because modern amps can produce very high frequencies (typically up to 100kHz) it is recommended to wire a 47Ω 3W resistor (order code: W47R) in series with each tweeter to limit damaging high frequency resonance.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

  7. #37
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: KEW,Richmond

    Posts: 64
    I'm Philip.

    Default

    Just had a look at my piezo crossover 550NF cap with 33 ohm resistor in series with 22ohm across the piezo.I think I got this from the DIYAUDIO archive section a few years ago, seems to do the job .

  8. #38
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Lancaster(-ish), UK

    Posts: 16,936
    I'm ChrisB.

    Default

    If you do get some of these Maplin things, prepare to be get exactly what you pay for. The build quality isn't exactly monumental!

    Oh, and if you screw them into a cabinet, don't overtighten them, because they crack easily around the mounting screws.

  9. #39
    Join Date: Dec 2008

    Location: Yorks

    Posts: 16,643
    I'm Nobody.

    Default

    Thats right chris, infact some of the expensive ribbons are crap aswell.

  10. #40
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 9,143
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Another thing to consider is getting a steep enough roll off as you go down the frequencies - those tweeters are working from around 4 kHz upwards.
    If you cross over to them too low and with too shallow a slope then their effects will be all too audible. And not in a beneficial way.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •