+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 156

Thread: Super Tweeters - Fact or Flights of Fancy?

  1. #1
    Join Date: Mar 2009

    Location: Hemel Hempstead

    Posts: 1,074
    I'm Steve.

    Default Super Tweeters - Fact or Flights of Fancy?

    Thoughts chaps?

    Does any one own a pair and/or have experience with them?

    S.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  2. #2
    Join Date: Mar 2009

    Location: Elland

    Posts: 6,922
    I'm David.

    Default

    I been reading about them recently too, I'd like to have a go with a pair if they were cheaper ... The logical bit of my brain says that surly they just add to treble in the audible frequency they cover and then how can they possibly add somthing above the frequencys that a cd produces... But then the other part of my brain says balls to logic, everything that is available on the Internet to read about these things says good things so they must do something... Right??
    I'm kinda suprised marco doesn't have some of those tannoy st**'s on top his speakers ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

  3. #3
    Join Date: Jan 2010

    Location: Oxford

    Posts: 872
    I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

    Default

    One of my pals is running a pair of Cambridge R50s. They use the famous Kef set up similar to Linn Isobarik (B139 oval solid styrene bass driver, B110 and T27's like in LS3/5a) but they also run ribbon supertweets.He's changed both the tweets to ? and supertweets to ? expensive ribbons. He swears by them. I've heard them and his system is fantastic. As to if the supertweets make a differerence I don't know. I've read that the extended range at the top can give the impression of extended lower freq response but I cannot comment as his the R50's are TL and go down way low in any case. I've often wondered if the likes of Townshend supertweets are really worth the pricetag or if it is largely hype?!?!?

    Like all things, I suppose it depends on the rest of the system.
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

    Photo bucket - loads of mods!

    SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

    "Leave Nothing as Standard"

  4. #4
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: France

    Posts: 3,209
    I'm notAlone.

    Default

    All my friends (some of them objectivists, I must say) who have supertweeters can't live without.

    The problem is that once you put them, there's no going back : in that, they all agree.
    Dimitri.

    In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

  5. #5
    Join Date: Dec 2008

    Location: Yorks

    Posts: 16,643
    I'm Nobody.

    Default

    Coles 4001. best ever super tweeter

  6. #6
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Lancaster(-ish), UK

    Posts: 16,936
    I'm ChrisB.

    Default

    I played around with some Coles a few years back - don't know how they'd compare to the new breed of modern ones though.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Galashiels

    Posts: 14,034
    I'm inthescottishmafia.

    Default

    They definately seem to add air and space.At one of our DIY do's,a pair was tried with some DIY Jericho horns,using a Fostex fullrange driver,and the difference was not subtle, very obvious.As Dimitri says,you won't go back!

  8. #8
    Join Date: Dec 2009

    Location: Hadrians Wall

    Posts: 313

    Default

    My hearing goes upto about 16-17kHz. I physically cannot hear anything above that, so supertweeters cannot possibly make any difference to the sound I hear, even if the material I play has higher frequencies recorded.

    But there again, I am not ashamed to say that no matter how much I try I cannot hear any difference between 32kHz and 44.1kHz, or 48kHz (given the same high quality source material), despite being able to hear differences in quality elsewhere in the chain, and between different Dacs. I accept that some can, but I also feel that many people can't, they are just too ashamed to say so.

    Needless to say, I will not be buying any supertweeters this side of a lottery win!

    Kris.

  9. #9
    Join Date: Dec 2008

    Location: Yorks

    Posts: 16,643
    I'm Nobody.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I played around with some Coles a few years back - don't know how they'd compare to the new breed of modern ones though.
    Celestion 'HF1300', Coles '4001' combination Spendor 'BC1'/'2', B&W 'DM2'/'4' etc

  10. #10
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: France

    Posts: 3,209
    I'm notAlone.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    My hearing goes upto about 16-17kHz. I physically cannot hear anything above that, so supertweeters cannot possibly make any difference to the sound I hear, even if the material I play has higher frequencies recorded.

    But there again, I am not ashamed to say that no matter how much I try I cannot hear any difference between 32kHz and 44.1kHz, or 48kHz (given the same high quality source material), despite being able to hear differences in quality elsewhere in the chain, and between different Dacs. I accept that some can, but I also feel that many people can't, they are just too ashamed to say so.

    Needless to say, I will not be buying any supertweeters this side of a lottery win!

    Kris.
    You should try. All the people I know can't hear much above 14kHz either.
    Can't comment easily about the sample rate differences, there are too many variables involved. I can say that I can't hear them through headphones, though. It's easier through speakers, and easier if you don't necessarily look for them.
    Dimitri.

    In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •