+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 15v Capella headphone amp - Legend!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Stephen.

Default New 15v Capella headphone amp - Legend!

Stan kindly lent me one of these to audition knowing I was running a standard 12v Capella from battery and a Caiman SEG from a 15v LPSU.

I have only had it up and running for 24 hours but even in that short time I'm in no doubt it is a significant step up over the 12v version.

I have so far used my Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm 'phones which are pretty demanding to drive.

Listening to the Hans Zimmer Interstellar double CD the bass is just immense - really deep and powerful with chord detail I'd not previously heard - I had to turn the Capella gain down to zero and back off the volume pot a bit as the 15v version was driving the Beyers so much easier than the 12v.
    It's not just the bass that's better, there is much more fine detail, precision and clarity - drum kit is snappier and vocals (Lightnin Hopkins) have more expression and "natural" tone. I'm guessing the 15v version has lower background noise.
    The whole presentation seems effortless with improved dynamics, PRaT.

I'll do a bit more old/new demoing and listen also with my Grado RS1000's but I'm already convinced there is no going back.

FWIW I have suggested Stan calls the 15v version the Capella Legend!

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by worrasf; 19-11-2016 at 18:55.
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread