Hello,
Sorry to interrupt your thread but I also got my Lancasters this week and I was also curious how could I check the cones. Finally I realised that the back panel can be unscrewed so I took off the back. As I can see the cones are in mint condition but since there is a green paint on the screws holding the speakers in their place, I don't want to unscrew them.
I also have 15" Golds in it. I've read somewhere that during a period Tannoy's production quality was not the very best (reference: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/tannoyMG15.htm) so I would like to ask what should I check in order to find out if my Golds are OK or not. Also this link mentions the crossover part values might not be correct (due to age).
They sound very nice, but I would like to make sure that my Lancaster sound at their best.
Thanks for your help!
System
Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm
SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio
Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro
Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX
Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2
Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP
Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects
Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers
Power: Accuphase PS-1200