I'm rather chuffed with myself this weekend.

Originally Posted by Beechwoods
I am however lucky that the artists I like aren't The Beatles, Led Zep and the like because their releases are prohibitively expensive - £50 or more... postage from the states is £7-£10 so that has to be added on too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
When I was a tiny nipper my family lived in Pakistan in a community of mostly Americans & Brits. People used to often accumulate a lot of extra 'stuff' in their 3 - 5 year stays & had to jettison stuff when they left. Also people used to go to Japan or Hong Kong quite a bit on leave, so there developed quite a market in used hi-fi's, cameras and various other bits of techno-kit as they upgraded.

One of the things my Dad bought from a departing Yank was a Sony R-R deck. It don't know what the model was, but we also got a box full of tapes. I came across this box once, years later in the loft at my folks house and looked through the tapes. I can only remember one, and that was a pre-recorded copy of 'Help!' by the Beatles - US release. Someone - and it may have been my Dad (he was a bit of a classical snob) had recorded over it & written in black felt tip on the box what the new recording was. I was only about 10 or 11 years old at the time, but I knew that there was something fundamentally really very, very wrong with this situation!!

Well, today I got a chance to repay the sins of my Dad (or some anonymous American engineer). This morning we took a drive to pick up a portable mono reel to reel player that I won on Ebay yesterday.
I wouldn't have looked twice at this machine, but there was something else in the description that caught my eye. No picture and just a few words, but I thought it was worth a sneaky bid.

Look - no writing on the 'Help!' box!!!!