I don't mean to attract the "Wrexham Police" but my recent experiences with both the Decca Gold Microscanner I had repaired in recent years and also a good original Shure V15IV in the Lab 80mk2 (yes, it works well) shows me that GOOD magnetic types can "do" 3-D and bass *if it's there in the original recording and vinyl cut.* The turntable is all, followed by the arm - but you guys know that already don't you?

DECENT moving coil types cost money (the DL110 isn't really much better than a good MM, just different if truth be told) and you then have the added expense of a decent step up which can again add hundreds of pounds of a good one is to be got. Forget lavish confections like the more expensive Koetsu's, as you're buying into the name and the cachet produced, rather than a better sound per se..... Also, there is the tendency, expressed by Glenn, to take a basic design at x price, select a few and charge 2x, select a few more and charge 4x etc. etc. All good business practice of fleecing well off audiophools. Also, Roy Gandy of Rega once suggested that the maximum a moving coil cartridge should sell for is a very few hundred quid, unless it has a fancy gemstone body as some did and do, yet I notice the Apheta costs nigh-on a grand - hmmmmmmm!

You may not agree with Glenn's point of view, but one must agree that his opinion works in a huge number of cases