Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
When I say "play" I don't mean to imply it is loose and rattling about. It has one natural resting position (probably the wrong one), and the platter weight tends to keep it in that position. However it is not rigid like a tonarm bearing and can move.

I will probably have to take it apart eventually, but I am a little nervous as this is a critical component that up to now I have been careful not to disturb or even invert. I remember the first time Jon assembled it he did it in such a way as to suggest "don't mess with this" and there was an audible sigh from both of them that indicated a critical assembly milestone has been reached and it was plain sailing from there.

Or they could just have been messing with my head I wouldn't put it past them.
Ahhhh ! Okay yes if it was not perpendicular it would rise up and down as it turned. The bearing housing needs to be level and would appear not to be. Perhaps the three bolts holding it in place allow it to be adjusted/re-leveled.

I once had awful problems setting up a Roksan TT as there are three set screws underneath the bearing, which you can adjust to level the bearing. It took me hours to get this just right. At one point I nearly launched the TT out the open door of the shop I worked in at the time. You thought you had it right but looking at the side profile of the platter you could see it rising and falling. This rise was on the side where the bearing housing was off I got it done eventually but at that point I swore I would not do a Roksan again. Even my mana spirit level was of little help to me.

Regards D S D L