Quote Originally Posted by thegratefuldad View Post
I also noticed that the springs were in my mind a bit too compressed.
Assuming that the chassis isn't hard up against the top of the plinth, the compression of the springs depends solely on the weight they are carrying, which won't have changed. How compressed do you think they should be?

So, I've disconnected the retaining clip for the arm leads (Rega RB300 I had Incognito Rewired), stiff cables yes! AND relieved some of the compression on springs by turning the tuning bolts.
Well, the 'bounce' is back, so, I'll look to dial in the retaining clip for stiff cables
(any issues with not using the retaining clip, I don't see any hang up while not using it)?
A quick photo would be really useful here to get an accurate idea of how you have the lead set up at the moment. Normally with a stiff arm lead, the best way is to take it forward to a clip secured under the arm-board securing nut, then back in a straight run to another clip where the lead exits the plinth. Both clips should hold the lead as tightly as possible. The cable between the two clips should not be under any tension, but neither should it be too slack, otherwise it will try to push the chassis forwards.

My only concern is now that I've relieved the pressure on springs, the armboard is now not level with plinth (it's lower than plinth). If I tweak the springs to make the armboard level, the 'bounce' diminishes.
Might a course of action be to get the 'bounce' back and adjust the VTA with another shim to get the VTA correct?
I hope you can follow what I tried to explain?
No, the VTA doesn't come into this atall. Don't forget that the arm, armboard, chassis and platter are fixed in a rigid assembly, and what you're trying to do is to set up the suspension so that the whole assembly sits correctly in the plinth. The relationship between the arm and the platter (and hence the VTA) is fixed, regardless of how the whole assembly sits on the suspension. If the armboard is sitting low in the plinth then the platter will be as well. Changing the VTA by putting spacers under the arm only changes the height of the arm relative to the platter. It will have no effect on the suspension.

Hope this helps! It can be a bit mind-boggling trying to work out the various relationships at work here. the good thing about the TT2 though is that once you've got it sorted it will stay that way!

Incidentally, is your chassis steel or alloy?