+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's next? Looking for recommendations...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alex.

Default What's next? Looking for recommendations...

Update in bold below. I'm a noob, still learning the language.

My Amp seems to be getting out of whack. Not sure where to go next. Will appreciate all ideas.

Background:
    My current system is:
    • DAC - Beresford Bushmaster II
    • Speakers - Klipsch RP-150M
    • Amp - Hitachi SR-604

Got my Hitachi amp of ebay a few years ago, upgraded capacitors and fixed ground issues that was tripping the fuses in the house. The amp is really amazing, G-class, 35W per channel, THD 0.05% but above all it magically fills the sound and makes it full and rich without any distortions. Just found the right term that describes that feeling, this amp adds texture and meatiness to mids without making the sound muddy or losing details. Definitely not a neutral sound, but that's how I like it. I prefer to use it with headphones instead of plugging them directly into my super rich and super detailed DAC.

So here is the problem.
    Over the years the radio had died, then the meters, then the left channel started to lose volume and finally the right channel started to make spontaneous low frequency pulses.

The Amp is a nightmare to work on, almost impossible to detach PCBs from the chassis and I think I'm now ready to move on to a next Amp.

Any recommendations? The Hitachi cost me around £100 including parts, I'm kind of afraid that I will end up spending
    £200—400 but the sound will not be as good. After all, the SR-604 was $400 in 1970s which is £2k+ today, must had been a really good system back then.

So what are my options?

Thanks
    Last edited by alexk0il; 14-06-2021 at 10:38.

+ Reply to Thread