Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
Interesting to see how this all pans out.

I've heard several 301's in various plinths and they all sound very very different.

It would seem the plinth construction and material has a very large impact on the overall presentation of the 301.
That maybe an obvious conclusion, but it really is very apparent when haring the differences. A hard choice to place an order on a plinth effectively blind, as they all have their 'sound'. I heard a Bob C plinth and it was night and day with a couple of other options that were also side by side comparisons. It was a valuable lesson for me personally not to get too enticed with looks and finishes and to understand how the plinths are constructed.

I know Bob C incorporates an isolated arm pod within the structure of the plinth. This is fundamental in his 'sound'. He also totally decouples the Motor unit, also fundamental.
Matt at Audio Grail uses Bob C for all his Garrad 301's for this very reason..

You may want to ask Russ about what he did for Tom formerly of this parish (Montesquieu)

Tom went to Russ with a plinth design (for his Thorens 124 Mk2, which is widely, wrongly, perceived as not plinth Fussy) based around a core material of similar to Panzerholst. This was after Tom having had several of Russ Collinson's regular plinth designs over the years. Tom's gamble paid off as it sounds incredible.

IMHO, If I were in your shoes now, I'd explore the base Core material options prior to committing to the next plinth...and also construction techniques.
I
n the long run it will be worth while.. I wouldn't rush into it for sake of just getting the TT in your system.

Maybe a cheapo stop gap TT is in order, to keep the music spinning whilst you get the optimal 301 plinth possible for your budget..

Just my 2p worth
Hi mate yes your quite right which is why I liked the idea of the Woodsong. Its has a man made slate base then pockets inside the plinths ply core which have a polyester and bentonite resin for optimal damping in critical areas. Also passive isolation on the armboards too. Anyway that one has gone now so time to move on.

I have messaged bob on his Facebook page , he has seen it but not replied for two days so I’m guessing he’s either not interested or too busy and possibly hes little out of my reach financially anyway. Ive heard his plinths are around £3k ?? He may reply, let’s see.

As for Russ , he thinks he can make something similar looks wise to the Woodsong with a nice veneer . I have asked if the core can be alternating layers (CLD) of Panzerholz and ply , and make the armboards Panzerholz also. Its no secret of its great abilities in audio . It will be heavy and expensive but possible. He did mention he built a solid one so I’m guessing that is Toms one?

To be honest if looks is the thing that people go on then it would be a Bob C all day long for me. Just the shape with those highly figured woods look absolutely timeless and classy. Not to mention the design principals behind it. Ive no doubt it’s a cut above. But likely a long wait and too pricey for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk