Was quite intrigued by this thread and the option of playing CDs via the RPI - haven't used Volumio since V1 having moved to Moode and preferring the interface/performance so decided to kill two birds...

Having gone through the rigermerole setting it up this evening have to say I am not overly impressed so far. I found CD playback not brilliant - even compared to using the same drive though iTunes on my Mac.

Setting up Volumio was a bit of a pain to start with. I tried using the WiFi Hotspot Volumio suggest on their website but the default password they gave simply didn't work so had to resort to pulling the ethernet cable from my Mac and doing it the old fashioned way - also not straightforward (sigh) but managed to get wifi set up (more by accident than design)

Nanasound took a bit over half an hour to install. I used a powered Lite-On DVD drive I had in a drawer and initially found the Nansound interface all a bit cumbersome and clumsy to use - more the fault of Volumio's infuriating screen systems than the Nanosound plugin per-se. Playback quality was quite frankly disappointing - muddy and booming bass and the rest just a bit too smeared for my liking. Also got frequent dropouts and tracks simply stopping for no reason. Playback of the same tunes ripped to AIFF and played through Moode was far better but even (as I said) iTunes CD playback on my Mac using the same drive was much better.

Not something I'll be repeating .....