My name is John, and my user name Sub is the first three letters of my surname.
I am retired, in my 70s. I used to work as a social worker in mental healthcare.
I live in the Far North of NZ, in the countryside near a small harbourside village of Mangonui, within the general area of Doubtless Bay. Mango=shark and nui=large in the Maori language. The name Doubtless Bay was given by CPT Cook, when sailing past, looked landward with his telescope and said, “Doubtless it is a Bay”.
Have been listening to music seriously since the mid 70s, but could only afford quality equipment from the mid 90s. I have an eclectic taste, with no real favourites. Have gone through phases of only listening to classical, or blues, or jazz, but now it is whatever I am listening to is what I enjoy.
Mostly play LPs - have about 3000, but have about 500cds I also like to dip into.
Current setup - Linn LP12 circa 1984 with Valhalla power supply, Ittok LVII arm, Ortofon 2M Black cart, PureAudio Vinyl phono pre, Plinius 8150 integrated amp, Rotel RCD990 CD player circa 1997, Oppo 103AU Bluray universal player (mostly used for movies and streaming YouTube). Have been using Mission 753 speakers for many years, but recently bought a pair of KEF Reference 104/2.
Will be having the KEFs refurbished - replacement set of capacitors ordered from Falcon Acoustics, and new donuts to be installed.
I also have a Yamaha YP-D9 direct drive turntable circa 1978. Not sure which TT I prefer. The D9 is better built, especially the arm, than the Linn, and the Linn has just a tad more “air”. Will have to sell one shortly to fund speaker refurbishment!