+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The NAD is dead! Long live the Marantz!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Steve.

Default The NAD is dead! Long live the Marantz!

Well it’s official. My very fancy, very expensive NAD M2 is officially dead and unrepairable.

After oh, about 7 years, a fault on the main board has consigned my M2 to the recycling bin. The board was no longer available from NAD and the complexity and surface mount nature of the board means a component level repair was impossible.

This has been a salient lesson for me in the potential issues of pure digital amps.

I’m am making myself feel better by enjoying sounds on a Marantz PM-11S1 which
    I picked up in minty condition for a very fair price.

It’s big, heavy, analog and makes the reassuring sound of clicking relays when I press buttons.

Going forward, DAC duties will be handled by something which won’t render me amp-less and crying over a massive financial loss if it goes tits-up.

If ever there was proof to me that something can be too clever for its own good, this was it.

Despite all that, it is good to be back chaps!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 09-08-2018 at 20:32.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

+ Reply to Thread