+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 121

Thread: Tannoy Lancasters

  1. #1
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default Tannoy Lancasters

    I've just collected my pair of Tannoy Lancasters, which are in good cosmetic order but I'd like to take the grille off to examine the drivers' cones. There does not seem to be an obvious way of removing the grilles, so maybe they are not removable as such? Can anyone enlighten me on this and save me from causing inadvertent damage?

    Many thanks. Pics will follow when I have time.

  2. #2
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: Cardiff, South Wales, UK

    Posts: 315
    I'm paul.

    Default

    Lucky man. you are meant to unscrew the rear panel Hugo. Are they 12", 15",
    Gold or HPD?
    Paul

    Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

  3. #3
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,805
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Nice one, Hugo! Paul's right... You unscrew the rear panel, to access the drive units, then when inside, uncrew the drive units from the front panel, and you can then examine the cones

    Can't wait to find out what you think of them, and also to see some piccies!

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  4. #4
    Join Date: Apr 2009

    Location: Near Saffron Walden, Essex

    Posts: 7,360
    I'm Dave.

    Default

    And there's me thinking you hammer in a bolster chisel in between the grille and cabinet and lever it off, watching out you don't get splinters in your fingers..

  5. #5
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tannoy man View Post
    Lucky man. you are meant to unscrew the rear panel Hugo. Are they 12", 15",
    Gold or HPD?
    They are 15" Monitor Golds. The chap who I bought them off told me that he had got them in "a sale" in 1970, but one speaker was not working, so he took them to Tannoy who fitted two matched drivers for free. They have not been touched since.

  6. #6
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Hugo! Paul's right... You unscrew the rear panel, to access the drive units, then when inside, uncrew the drive units from the front panel, and you can then examine the cones

    Can't wait to find out what you think of them, and also to see some piccies!

    Marco.
    Yes, the back panel comes off easily and I can see bolts securing the drive units. From what I can see through the big round holes in each driver chassis, the cones seem to be in perfect nick, but I ought to take them out to be sure.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: Hove Actually

    Posts: 3,947
    I'm Imjustsurviving.

    Default

    great Hugo, lovely speakers get them pics up soon
    Jon


    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.




    Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

  8. #8
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Bournemouth

    Posts: 5,332
    I'm Dan.

    Cool

    What price did you pay for them


    Dan
    Quad 33 Pre with Quad 303 Power Amplifier
    Quad ESL 57 Loudspeakers
    Sony RCD W100 Transport
    Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC
    Thorens TD 165 with Shure M75ED / Radioshack PreAmp

  9. #9
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    What price did you pay for them


    Dan
    £1810, which I reckon to be a good deal.

  10. #10
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Bournemouth

    Posts: 5,332
    I'm Dan.

    Default

    Fair enough mate got any pics


    Dan
    Quad 33 Pre with Quad 303 Power Amplifier
    Quad ESL 57 Loudspeakers
    Sony RCD W100 Transport
    Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC
    Thorens TD 165 with Shure M75ED / Radioshack PreAmp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •