+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: My journey through the haze of Hifi

  1. #1
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,359
    I'm Josie.

    Default My journey through the haze of Hifi

    Hello Chaps.

    After doing a cleanup of my photobucket account I found lots of pics from my hifi past and some current ones too so I thought I'd share this selection of kit.

    This is by no means everything I've owned in the past but I don't have the pics for some other kit.

    Anyways, enjoy!

    Cheers.




    DENON D250

    My first bit of Hifi. Cost me over £1500 in the mid 90's. I can still stand by this hifi that it sounded superb.






    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-PRE

    My first ever valve pre amplifier... It was great at the time but had fiddly teenytiny knobs that my Hammy hands couldb't get the hang of.

    A design flaw if you ask me but these are still very popular.



    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-AS100

    A superb bridgable amplifier. I had two of these in a Quad amplificaion with some X-AS200 mono's. Sounded great but I found them slow and not very agile.



    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-AS2

    A great preamplifier but simply didn't have any guts to admire sonically.





    MUSICAL FIDELITY XLPSv2

    I actually forgot all about this... I had this for a week... nuff said.



    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-PSU

    Crapola. Made no differnence what so ever to the sound.



    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-TONE

    Superb bit of kit... Again, very popular even now.



    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-10D - ROCK GROTTO'D

    Rock Grotto'd versions.. I had two of these one for each channel. Stock units need the Rock Grotto mods.. Easy to do too as both took me about 2 hours each to do.











    MUSICAL FIDELITY X-RAY

    A great CD player but I found it bright and brittle sounding.






    PIONEER RT-909

    My baby... still with me and enjoying it just as much as the day I got it.








    MONITOR AUDIO BR5

    Superb little floorstanders... I was totally amazed with these. Sometimes there are designs that just work.






    DENDEN DM-10 V2

    This was a lovely integrated but it was HUGE! and didn't fit anywhere. Those big gold knobs were also a little dramatic but the sound was great. Interestingly enough this sounded better single wired and not in a bi-wire configuration even though it had them.





    NVA A80's

    Superb sounding amplfiers.



    NVA A40's

    Superb sonics again.



    NVA P50

    A superb passive pre.



    AUDIO NOTE OTO PP

    Ooooh... this sounds very nice indeed. EL84/ECC83 complimented and with lots of grunt. One thing I would say is that it's very sensitive on the volume pot.





    PRO-JECT RPM 5

    For a first or re-visit to vinyl this TT is superb.



    B&W CM7's

    Gash... I liked the styling but thats about it.








    Beogram CD 7000

    I want another one... This CDP is still one of the best I've heard. Check out the DAC...








    ARCAM ALPHA

    Again... Top DAC and NOS converted.. Just felt tacky.



    QUAD QC 24

    Superb little preamp this but can be improved a lot more.





    CHORD CPM 2600 SPM 600

    Amazing sound but needed a bigger room to really sound nice..



    DALI HELICON 800 MKII's

    These were my first set of serious speakers, lots of weight and clout but not for valve amps I thought.




    MICHELL GYRODEC SE

    A classic... I loved it but my retro switch was flicked so it had to go...lol




    PS AUDIO PHONO STAGE

    Great sounding Phono stage but not very dynamic.




    RAYSONIC CD128

    Yeah baby... Very nice CDP here... takes good to rolling too.







    SONUS FABER LUITO TOWERS

    Hmmm... Pringle tubes in comparason to the Dalis or my latest Tannoys.






    NICK GORHAM PHONO STAGE

    Custom built, this is the daddy of phono stages... I'd be quite happy to put this up against the mid range Whest models.













    RADFORD STA25 RENAISSANCE WITH MATCHING SC25 PREAMPLIFIER

    This was a wonderful amplifier and pre. Probably not as good as the original series 3 but still up there with the gods.






    HARBETH SHL5

    I sold these very reluctantly. If I was going to buy for a second system again I'd definately go for some more of these...



    THORENS TD124 MKII

    My Baby... again. Fully refurbed by Schopper and runs solidly on the strobe. Love it.











    QUAD II (CROFT MODIFIED)

    My latest purchase... Very nice indeed. Weight, clout, dynamic...everything the originals were not. If you have some originals get em Crofted. lol













    Last edited by The Black Adder; 09-07-2011 at 11:51.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  2. #2
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Bristol, UK

    Posts: 9,966
    I'm Nick.

    Default



    Wow, your pictures are gorgeous. And the gear too. Do you take pictures for a living?

    This one looks like it was shot in an Area 51 warehouse:



    You've owned some very nice kit I have to say...
    [SIZE="1"]Nick

    Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

  3. #3
    Join Date: Jun 2008

    Location: N. Ireland

    Posts: 2,475
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Some great kit there Joe and lovely pics too. My fave might be the R2R, but the TD124 and the B&O look the biz too. Hard to beat a TDA1541 equipped player, especially when modded.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.


    FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

  4. #4
    Join Date: Oct 2008

    Location: East Yorkshire, UK

    Posts: 1,223
    I'm Mark.


  5. #5
    Join Date: Jun 2010

    Location: Scotland

    Posts: 1,940
    I'm Tom.

    Default

    Those Dali Helicons, lovely

    You really don't need to consult a calendar to accurately date the Pioneer RT909's pedigree do you?

  6. #6
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,359
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post


    Wow, your pictures are gorgeous. And the gear too. Do you take pictures for a living?
    Cheers Nick. Yes, I do lots of product photography.

    Thanks Steve, Mark... Glad you like.

    Frank, the RT is actually from 1981.. one of the very last made.



    Thanks very much matey.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  7. #7
    Join Date: Feb 2011

    Location: Wales

    Posts: 8,043
    I'm NotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    I don't use this word often Joe, as I don't really like it, but on this occasion it fits...... awesome Thanks for posting and I want some Quad II's!


    Some people have no idea what they're doing and a lot of them are really good at it.
    George Carlin

    Boycott the US

  8. #8
    Join Date: Jun 2010

    Location: Scotland

    Posts: 1,940
    I'm Tom.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Cheers Nick. Yes, I do lots of product photography.

    Thanks Nick, Mark... Glad you like.

    Frank, the RT is actually from 1981.. one of the very last made.



    Thanks very much matey.
    I guessed 1980 - 1981 Joe, so not far off was I? Beautiful high quality engineering from the days when the accountants were kept locked in small offices and not allowed to poke their noses into business decisions

  9. #9
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,359
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatGig View Post
    I don't use this word often Joe, as I don't really like it, but on this occasion it fits...... awesome Thanks for posting and I want some Quad II's!
    Hehehe... thats ok matey. Just don't quote any Top Gun.

    Gaaaah!

    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  10. #10
    Join Date: Jul 2011

    Location: Sutton Coldfield UK

    Posts: 13
    I'm Gary.

    Default

    Great post and pics, I felt as though I'd been on the journey with you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •