+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable stand

I'm colin.

Pig ugly too!

I'm Clark.

Agreed, more function over form, but then wall mount supports don't win any prizes for asthetics either. Bit smaller though.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    I've always wonered what one of these would be like, shame it's in the states.
    Postage $35?? Worldwide?? I somehow doubt that

I'm Pig.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Would everyone agree that a wall platform , like a Target jobby, is the way to go?
    Turntables like wall shelves. You would think otherwise but they do. Even a stud wall seems to work ok. Even lightweight DIY shelves seem to sound quite nice.

I've tried a lot of tables and supports and the best I've used by a country mile is Mana. It's stunning and well worth the cost. Even then a Mana wall shelf is better than a floor stand, even John Watson of Mana said that. But if the floor is sturdy and the wall wobbly I'd go for a floor stand.

I'm colin.

Hasnt Manna folded?
    The wall i was going to use sounds like a snare drum when you tap it, its been built using two stud skins so in effect its a big empty chamber.

I'm Pig.

Hasn't Mana folded?
    Oh yes, long time ago, but you can still find the stuff on the used market. It'll be around for a long time, it's virtually indestructible!

The wall I was going to use sounds like a snare drum when you tap it, in effect its a big empty chamber.
    How that would sound who knows. It sounds like a bad idea but so does a lot of things that work ok. What you can do is rip the wall open, add strength to the inside then re-sheet it. You can put in wooden straps exactly where you want to hang the shelf.

I'm colin.

Not a bad idea. Could even fill the cavity with sand.

I'm Pig.

Could even fill the cavity with sand.
    Mmm, I don't know. apart from the practical considerations, could be interesting if you ever drill into it, I don't know what it would sound like. Sometimes things that you would think would work, just don't. I genuinely have no idea what a sand-filled wall might do.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Colin, what i suggest you do is find out where the studs are & get a couple of bits of 3/4" MDF & glue them together (or use one piece of 1" MDF) & make a board big enough to attach the wall mount to the studs directly...

It shouldn't be too difficult & at the end of the day if you remove it you'll just have between 4 & however many screws holes you choose to fill in
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm colin.

That sounds easy do able

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast