+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman+Gator v Benchmark DAC1 - initial impressions

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Hi Martin, are you using some DYI linear PS with SupperTeddy regulators? I was browsing thru Teddy Pardo power supplies, but none seems to be ready-made for Caiman (15v).

Or if I should put it in other way - is someone selling Caiman compatible power supply with SupperTeddy regs or simmilary good PSU ?

Thanks!
    Have a look at the dual PSU I made for my Caiman on the Drawing Board thread. It has adjustable Avondale regulators and you can remove the internal regs in the Caiman.

Nice easy to do project that does not cost lots but well worth the effort.

Regards

I'm Tomas.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Have a look at the dual PSU I made for my Caiman on the Drawing Board thread. It has adjustable Avondale regulators and you can remove the internal regs in the Caiman.

Nice easy to do project that does not cost lots but well worth the effort.

Regards
    Hi Chrism, you mean probably this one, right? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9144

I'm thinking of something "less invasive" now I've just a 2 weeks ago fitted Muratas and Elnas and would not like to get rid of Muratas now Also too much messing with power seems to me like calling for a trouble like baking my precious Caiman

But somehow I have a feeling that Muratas would like to have better PSU to really shine.
    I'd rather buy some "finished product" linear 15V power supply and connect it to Caiman's power inlet.

Currently the only finished product's I'm aware of are:

http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/beresford_psu.shtml (quite pricy)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/3v-15v-adjus...c=so&u=strat15 (quite ugly and big for livingroom )

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Tomas, i'd invest in one of these chap There is a thread on here somewhere where a certain Mr Beresford adjusted one of these to 15V to power the Caiman

Maplin 3Amp 13.8V supply, you don't need more than 1.5A at the end of the day

Just found the thread for you Tomas All the best fella..
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Yes I started with the Maplin's Benchy when I had a 7510 early last year. It does give better results than the switchmode power unit but it's regulator is really basic.

Worth ago but recommend that you consider building one. You could build a single version of mine and set it at say 15.5v. If you ring Les he will supply you the main bits for not a lot of dosh. Just ask for the parts that I listed and add a case and switch / fuse of your choice.

Best to take out the Caiman's 10,000 cap though if you do go for it as I found over smoothing deadens the sound a little.

Regards

Chris

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Hi Martin, are you using some DYI linear PS with SupperTeddy regulators? I was browsing thru Teddy Pardo power supplies, but none seems to be ready-made for Caiman (15v).
    Hi Tomas

I ordered a SuperTeddy module from the man himself. I made a linear power supply from transformer, bridge rectifier and smoothing cap, feeding the ST set for 16V output and put it all in a nice box. Here's my original post with pictures:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showp...06&postcount=9

I'm Boris.

Hey Martin,
    as I'm also started to grab together bits an pieces for a PS: Did you order the reg from Teddy as the 'normal' 1A version or did you specify a higher current as mentioned on his page?

Cheers,
    cz

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paul_cz View Post
    Hey Martin,
    as I'm also started to grab together bits an pieces for a PS: Did you order the reg from Teddy as the 'normal' 1A version or did you specify a higher current as mentioned on his page?
    I ordered it to pass 2.5A.

I'm Boris.

... thanks for Info!
    cz

I'm Stephen.

Default And now add a linear PSU

OK - I've had the Caiman+Gator for about a week now and it's really bedding in - the hoped for increased bass has arrived and it's just getting better.

Tonight I hooked up a new 15v linear PSU (http://evingar.www.idnet.com/ebay_li.../nnd151515.pdf) - this was £42 off Ebay so it was bought as a "punt" - well it's just taken the Caiman+Gator to a new level

Bass has gone so low you now feel it not just hear it - there is more space around each instrument/voice - and more clarity and definition to plucked strings and piano phrasing - soundstage is now much more 3D and stable - all for £42

Thing is - I've also ordered a Teddy Pardoe PSU from Audiocom as I didn't actually expect this one to work - it will be really interesting to see what (if anything) I get for an extra £180.

I am now seriously considering selling my Benchmark DAC1 (I've already moved it into the second system with my Quad 67 - 33/303) and although I'll take a hit on the resale I can buy a Gatorised Caiman from Stan and use my 2 linear PSU's and (maybe) have a bit of change left for some music purcahses

Steve
    Always a little further

MartinT Guest

Nice one, Steve. It's amazing how much difference a linear PSU makes, isn't it? Those Lambda units look nice for a ready-made solution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast