The Benchmark DAC1 is a stunning DAC for the money – some would say a true giant killer
(http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/benchmark/dac1.html)
I have been using one with my Cyrus CD Xt se/PsXR for a goodly while and have been/continue to be amazed by it’s clarity, detail and bass control.

I have also been a great fan of the Beresord DAC’s (see my review http://www.avreview.co.uk/review/rev...6/v/1/sp/#1361)

– at the price point surely nothing to compare. The Caiman is a great improvement in all areas over the earlier TC-7510 IMHO and with the upgraded PSU is also a giant killer. But, to my ears lagged behind the Benchmark DAC1 in terms of detail and overall musicality and so I have been using it with my Wadia 170i (shortly to return from Audiocom having had a full work over and TeddyDock PSU) and my DVD player.

Enter the GATOR board for the Caiman and the game has changed

Stan sent me a GATOR a few days ago and even I had no problems swapping it in in 15 mins. Straight from cold I could tell this was a significant upgrade to the standard Caiman in terms of detail and dynamics. After 3 or 4 hours of playing/warming up it just got better in every way. The sound stage blooms and has better 3D presentation, PRaT is spot on (to my tastes) and I am definitely hearing more layers/detail. I now find myself preferring the Caiman+Gator to the Benchmark. I would hesitate to say one is “better” than the other but while accepting it’s all pretty subjective the Caiman+Gator has (nearly) all the qualities of the Benchmark but it “sounds more like vinyl” whereas the Benchmark has the “digital” sound. I guess what I mean is the music is fuller/warmer – not as “in your face” but again it’s very subjective.

The only area to my ears that the Benchmark wins over is in bass extension. Deep piano chords (Einaudi’s Nightbook is a good example especially after seeing a live performance to compare) the Benchmark goes lower and reproduces deep harmonics better than the Caiman+Gator. However, I understand from a post by Stan that the addition of a couple of capacitors to the Gator board will take the bass down lower.

At the end of the day in my system there is precious little to choose between the 2 DAC’s and I find myself preferring the Caiman+Gator over the Benchmark. The only significant difference is the price – by my calculations even with upgraded PSU you can buy 3 Caiman+Gators for every Benchmark DAC1 so if that’s not good value for money I don’t know what is.

For what it’s worth I am using digital coax cables supplied by Mike Homar which are the best I have heard and an absolute steal at the price he charges.

Steve