+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Name your fav local independent record shops!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

We had an Andy's Records here in Chelmsford (doubt if it was the same "Andy's" as yours) and it was excellent: wide range of music with a very helpful and knowledgeable staff. We also had a couple of other, smaller record shops, but all of them, including Andy's were pushed out by that useless behemoth known as HMV!
    Barry

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    We had an Andy's Records here in Chelmsford (doubt if it was the same "Andy's" as yours) and it was excellent: wide range of music with a very helpful and knowledgeable staff. We also had a couple of other, smaller record shops, but all of them, including Andy's were pushed out by that useless behemoth known as HMV!
    I know that Andy's were a local chain I think started in Cambridge with several branches in East Anglia but Chelmsford might have been a different one.

I daresay like most towns Bedford was decent for buying music in the early 80's with Andy's, Our Price, WH Smith, Boots, Woolworths and Littlewoods all selling records and tapes.

The Bedford HMV shut late 80's and once Andy's moved from the High Street it wasn't the same.
    HMV did return years later but by then they didn't sell what I was buying and I had discovered the long gone and much lamented 'Barney's' in St. Neots.

Go back a generation and my Dad was buying his music from electrical shops in Bedford.

Edit for some drift - You mention Chelmsford - I was 'based' from an office in Great Baddow for a while with a previous job but I have have never actually shopped in Chelmsford.
    I also have relatives nearby who are Automotive Engineers based in Margaretting, Ingatestone.
    Small World.
    Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

I'm Lawrence.

Pretty sure I used to shop in Andy's Records in Grimsby. I bought mainly thrash metal there.

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Pretty sure I used to shop in Andy's Records in Grimsby. I bought mainly thrash metal there.
    I remember buying Slayer - Reign in Blood and Madonna - True Blue at the same time; the confusion on the guy's face at the counter was epic
    Best Wishes
    Christopher D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main System: Vinyl - Technics SL1200 Mk1, Technics Mk2 Headshell , Audio Technica AT_VM95C, Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Stage: CD - Marantz CD 6005: Amp - Cambridge Audio Azur 351A: Speakers - B&W DM600
    Second System (WIP) : CD - NAD C 521i : Cassette - Technics RS-BX404: Amp - Technics SU-V470 PXS : Speakers - Wharfdale Laser 60
    Streaming: Audio Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6: Active Monitors - Adam Audio T5V

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by ceejaydee View Post
    I remember buying Slayer - Reign in Blood and Madonna - True Blue at the same time; the confusion on the guy's face at the counter was epic
    Ah yes Reign in Blood and then South of Heaven. I didn't need to buy True Blue as I had copied it off my sister

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by ceejaydee View Post
    You mention Chelmsford - I was 'based' from an office in Great Baddow for a while with a previous job but I have have never actually shopped in Chelmsford.
    I also have relatives nearby who are Automotive Engineers based in Margaretting, Ingatestone.
    Small World.
    Actually, I do live in Great Baddow - small world indeed!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940