+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Name your fav local independent record shops!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Arrow Name your fav local independent record shops!

{The following discussion has been moved from this thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9254 }

Well, there's a window of opportunity for someone!

I reckon that, if done right [opening up an independent record shop], it could be a little goldmine. You'd have to cater for the dance and ambient 12" singles (and 7" indie singles) kids would buy, as well as mainstream 'chart music', obscure stuff and audiophile pressings. I have other ideas how to get folk in, too - hey maybe I should start it as a new business venture?

Anyway, what I'd like everyone to do is name any independent record shops in their area (I might start a new thread for this), letting us know if they have a website and what the address is, including their postal address and telephone number, and then I'll feature all the links and info as a sticky thread in the music room, so that members and lurkers are encouraged to use them....

It could be the start of a widespread 'save your local record shop' campaign!

Marco.

P.S This thread will be moved into the music room later and made into a sticky....
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Good idea, Marco. You never know, I might be unaware of a great record shop quite close to me

I'm Nigel.

Hi Martin,

The Rock Box

151 London Road, Camberley, WWW.ROCKBOX.CO.UK

great shop, pop in there often when down that way on business.

Nigel

Default Name your fav local independent record shops!

Exactly, it's all about raising public awareness, so let's hear about them folks!

Martin, are you anywhere near (ish) Guildford? If so, there's Ben's Records:

http://www.bensrecords.com/mainFrame1.htm

I know of a few folk who go there, and they say it's superb

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nial.

Excellent idea Marco.

I'll start the ball rolling with my two locals

Cob in Bangor - excellent and stocking lots of vinyl, new and old, as well as music dvd's, cd's etc. Owen also puts on always interesting, often brilliant, gigs locally, mainly by american roots musicians, and he plays drums in Cajuns Dembo too.

http://www.cobrecordsbangor.co.uk/index.php

Cob in Porthmadog - huge central aisle of secondhand vinyl - even just going through the "latest arrivals section" is well worth doing, I only embark on looking through the rest if I've got a free afternoon. Substantial Jazz and Classical sections too.

http://www.cobrecords.com/

MartinT Guest

Thank you Nigel, I'll pop over to Camberley sometime.

Marco, I know about Ben's but haven't been able to get over there yet. Will do soon.

I'm Martin.

For those in the North Staffs/South Cheshire region I would recommend 'Rubber Soul Records' in Hide Street, Stoke Upon Trent. Massive stock of vinyl, some of it stupidly cheap, and 20% off for students.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Thank you Nigel, I'll pop over to Camberley sometime.

Marco, I know about Ben's but haven't been able to get over there yet. Will do soon.
    See, it just shows what's there almost on your doorstep that had slipped your mind or you didn't even know of....

That's what we all have to do - stop taking the easy option of using Amazon and other Internet only organisations, and get out and support REAL record shops!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    Substantial Jazz and Classical sections too.
    You want to have a look in the Plymouth stores...those sections are virtually non existant. A complete waste of time. I would be surprised if there are more than a couple of hundred CD's between them.
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    almost on your doorstep
    LOL! Think journey time down here, not distance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast