+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Banana plugs and bi-wiring

I'm Peter.

Default Banana plugs and bi-wiring

Wow! I recently bi-wired my speakers because I had read that it actually worked really well with mine.
    I used banana plugs for the first time, and had to work out what to do at the amp end, which only had one set of speaker posts. So, I stacked the plugs. And, I listened for a while and wasn't greatly impressed. The sound was ok, but it was somehow off. So, this evening I just wired both speaker cables into one plug for each speaker post in the amp - Bingo!! Lovely sound back. Now I get it.

So, yeah, easy and free tweak - don't stack (cheap) banana plugs.
    Peter

I'm Grant.

Used to bi amp my main system and liked it. Never just biwired from one amp though. If it works it workss though.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

I'm stunned by the difference caused by the way I have used the plugs. Before the soundstage was ok, but not huge - kind of clear but in between the speakers. Now, it's as wide as the room and detailed. It's a shame it's late in the evening because I'd really like to turn the volume up just a bit more to get the full effect. Really enjoying this again now. (and this is only with cheap plugs. I may invest in better plugs now to see if I can get a little bit more joy out of the system.)

I've tried bi-wiring before with different speakers and wasn't impressed. But, with these (Mission MX3s) it seems to make a difference that's worth keeping.
    Peter

I'm Geoff.

I like the Z plugs Nordost use on their speaker cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-BFA-4mm-...item43b8dd75c1

They make good surface contact and are easy to solder, giving a good size soldered joint. I just heatshrink sleeve the back where the cable entry is.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Yes. I've been pointed that way before (or seen discussions here somewhere about them). I don't have a soldering iron and have no experience of using one. So, they would be beyond me for now. I do intend to learn how to solder stuff in due course.
    The plugs I bought were about £8 for 20! A cheap punt to see if the idea worked. It does, so getting 'better' ones would be worthwhile. Mind you, I'm really happy with what I can hear right now, so there's no rush.
    Peter

I'm Grant.

Plenty good solder less versions too
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Yeah. I'll put the effort into finding them soon.
    This is what I like about the level of 'hi-fi' I'm at. I've spent less than £40 and, once I got it right, I've got a better sounding system which is making me happy and excited.
    Peter

I'm Grant.

It doesnt have to be about cash ..that's a mistake often made.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andras.

Good stuff! Yeah bi-wiring depends on the crossover in your speakers. On some speakers you hear a difference, on some not. I run shotgun on mine (so i have two cables with + and - in them for each channel), one of them with bananas the other with spades on the amp end. Works fine. I would like to get AN cables where you have four separate conductors per channel, neatly terminated in one pair of connectors per channel on the amp end.
    Firstwatt J2, AN-J LX HE, Lampizator L4G5.

+ Reply to Thread