+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Task At Hand

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    You might want to check out http://www.trans-fi.com/clientscorner.htm . One guy on there installed a Terminator (an older version) on his Delphi.

Is the ET 2.5 still available?
    Thank you for that I had presumed that the arm would be too heavy for a Delphi but based on that photo I was wrong to think that.

It would seem that they do, but $2900 is way too rich for me these days.
    Regards Neil

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Time flies... ...almost a year has gone by since last update...

This is an interim setup (valves are up in the loft) specifically for the purpose (ease) of getting my analog over to digital, as I seem to be traveling more. I can't really call it a cheap as chips system; just heavily slimmed down.

The number of 1200s is purely for entertainment value. However, I'm really getting spoiled by the Onkyo TX-8050's, frankly, astonishing feature set. If I could get that in a fantastic sounding valve integrated, I might be persuaded to go that route. But, who makes them with all the bells and whistles? Luxman SQ-38U? That's all I can think of at the moment.

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

MartinT Guest

No problem with 1210 spares then, Biff!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    I can't really call it a cheap as chips system;
    Um, let me think... NO!

But fantastic, nonetheless. A bit bonkers, but fantastic!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Crazy thing is, for less than £162 (cheap as chips, essentially) the TX-8050 includes:

mono/stereo/pure (tone defeat/video off)
    2x tape outs
    preamp out
    sub out
    mm phono pre
    coax in
    opt in (don't care really)
    usb streaming from mass storage (files up to 24/96kHz)
    network streaming
    balance control (amazing that's not present on some high end pre/integrateds)
    binding posts instead of spring loaded clips
    not cluttered with surround sound this or that (I'm a 2channel guy; so, that's a plus.)
    etc.
    etc.

I had to try it. It's kind of silly. If, like Oppo did with the BDP-95, they did an "audiophile" version of this unit it would be a serious audio value, even at twice the price. IMHO.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

Default More box swapping / A Vintage Rig??

Snapshot:

I had an opportunity to try out a few more "cheap as chips" items. I stumbled upon an Empire 2000E cartridge for a pound. I bought a TCC TC-750 phono pre for 28 pounds (mostly because they proudly stated it was "discreet" and it spec'd well, at least on paper). Finally, for less than 65 pounds I acquired a Kenwood Basic C1 preamp. I still have, prefer and love my tube stuff, for obvious reasons. Nevertheless, I have to say, I'm not sorry I bought any of these pieces.

Despite having the SAE power amp and EPI speakers for an eternity, I never actually paired them together. I've typically only used the SAE with much larger 3-ways. Even on the stands (I found at a thrift for a couple pounds each) and almost 3 feet out from the back wall the SAE and the EPI's work incredibly well together (and there's still bass!, not house rockin', but it's there). It's the best (clearest, tightest) sound I've ever gotten from the EPI's. I'm sorry I didn't try this combo a long time ago. The most expensive change in this photo is actually the Monet print which of course means, now I have to repaint the walls with a color of less... ...brilliance.

I am currently experimenting with the Mark IIIA. You might be able to see that I have removed the 100K gain pots from the front panel. The inputs are now directly wired to their respective driver boards with a 100K resistor inline. Honestly, the sonic benefit is minimal as the pots were not doing anywhere near the kind of damage to the input signal as initially suspected. I will probably "go all boutique" and toss in some blue velvet pots, or the like, retaining the adjustable gain feature. New PSU caps are on the way as are a bunch of other discreet components so the amp can be freshened up all around. For good measure I also replaced both 6.3V lamps. After all, it's been several decades.

I'm Geoff.

I bought an Empire 2000E cartridge new, many, many, years ago. I quite liked it, the sound was pleasant and it did nothing wrong.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I bought an Empire 2000E cartridge new, many, many, years ago. I quite liked it, the sound was pleasant and it did nothing wrong.
    Yep, that's how I'd describe it. There are carts that are subjectively better, surely; but, there's nothing about this cart's sonic presentation that jumps out at me as objectionable; no exaggerations that slap me in the face. I wasn't expecting that from what I consider to be a rather bland and decidedly humdrum appearance.

"Main" system changes

New in: JBL L112 speakers (reconed by yours truly), Parasound Halo A 21
    Soon in: Parasound Halo P 5 or Icon Audio LA4 MKIII
    Turntables: Though I really like my replinthed 1500MK2, the Mike New bearing is just too precious; so, I'm back to the 1200s.

Still have the Bottlehead, SAE and EPI gear. I just have to figure out where to set up a second system.

I'm Peter.

Nice. Quite a kit list you have there ... the Parasound amps seem quite rare in the UK, but have a great reputation.
    Love the speakers. Have you tried raising them off the floor a bit, get the tweeters to ear level, etc? Or do you sit on beanbags

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast