+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Task At Hand

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Default Technics SL-1500MK2 Replinth

I just started on this over the weekend. Right now, I'm just doing the mock up using an old MDF shelf; getting the necessary measurements and working on the layout for the electronics. (The final version of the plinth will of course be much more substantial.) As seen here, the electronics can be completely separated from the motor unit. This should be fairly straight forward.

A 2" diameter hole easily accommodates the bearing.

The flange screws will soon be replaced with bolts and nuts. The original arm will not be carried over, as it is long gone. A larger plinth will also open up 12" arm possibilities.

Soon a 1" diameter hole will be add to enable the control wires to feed up to the motor connection.

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I was previously using Teac hub adapters, which are perfect for the Teac decks, on my sorted PR99. They were "ok" in this application; but, I have to say, these work a whole lot better and precisely couple the reels to the deck, as well they should. These and two Maxell reels came as a package deal with a another PR99, which despite it's auction listing, will need some close attention. Good thing I've come to expect that... ...gotta read in between the lines of those auction listings! Pays to have a good sense of humor, too.

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

I'm Nobody.

Hi Biff

I use those Revox NAB adaptors on the Ferrograph & was in all honestly thinking about changing them! i don't like plastic. I was thinking about some nice ones from that guy in Turkey..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-11-2011 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Biff

I use those Revox NAB adaptors on the Ferrograph & was in all honestly thinking about changing them! i don't like plastic. I was thinking about some nice ones from that guy in Turkey..
    Now ya tell me... Those would definitely solve the problem of rubber rings wearing out and such. If you decide to get a set of those, let me know how you get on with them. If you like them, I may follow suit.

I've kept an eye on that guy in Turkey. I haven't gotten anything from him yet because the only authorized Revox tech in the US is about 45 mins. up the road from me.

Default 2012 Update

I replaced 2 cheap, builder grade, A/C receptacles behind the racks with much more substantial ones. I will eventually wire them both to their own breaker.

UPS and Hum-X filters in place (David must be cringing over my power cords; but, one thing at a time, man! )

I'm back to using 2 turntables (no microphone, no scratching). The 1200 on the right is being used for microgroove and mono, primarily. The 1200 on the left has the MN bearing. Both will be receiving more upgrades. The replinthed SL-1500MK2 is taking a break.

The other reel to reels, cassette decks and dbx units are taking a rest while I run with the DV-RA1000HD (and a TC-KA1ESa) for a while. Eventually, they may go under the window. I haven't figured that out yet.

And, I still don't have enough LP storage.

This pic is a bit old; but, this area looks about the same with the exception of a few more LP's on the floor in front of the crates.
    Believe it or not, there is a fireplace behind those crates!

The garage remains in serious jeopardy for a listening room makeover.

I'm Neil.

Beautiful room and set up.

How do you find the TransFi Terminator arm on the 1200?
    Regards Neil

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Wow, I thought I saw this post earlier but I realise I missed most of it

That is a whole shed load of lovely looking kit you have there Biff, or should that be garage load in the near future

Erm, how many 1200 series have you got exactly, I can see a couple but with different arms
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Beautiful room and set up.

How do you find the TransFi Terminator arm on the 1200?
    Thanks. I have a very tolerant spouse. The T3 works quite well with the 1200, very simple to set up. If the T3 has a sonic signature, I can't tell you what it is. Conversely, differences between cartridges are easily detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Wow, I thought I saw this post earlier but I realise I missed most of it

That is a whole shed load of lovely looking kit you have there Biff, or should that be garage load in the near future

Erm, how many 1200 series have you got exactly, I can see a couple but with different arms
    Hopefully, in a year or so, I'll have a proper man cave once again. I miss it.

Three MK2's and two M3D's, at last count. But, I'm still in the process of getting just one of them up to AOS Level 5 Twelve-Hundred Certification (ahem, Marco... ahem, Martin ...anyone else with a ridiculously modded deck ).

I'm Neil.

Thank you for that, interesting arm. I used to have an Eminent Technology ET2 arm and I miss it a lot. So a linear air bearing arm would be lovely to have. Not sure this one would fit well on my Oracle, where I had the ET2, but that arm would fit on my Technics.
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Thank you for that, interesting arm. I used to have an Eminent Technology ET2 arm and I miss it a lot. So a linear air bearing arm would be lovely to have. Not sure this one would fit well on my Oracle, where I had the ET2, but that arm would fit on my Technics.
    You might want to check out http://www.trans-fi.com/clientscorner.htm . One guy on there installed a Terminator (an older version) on his Delphi.

Is the ET 2.5 still available?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast