+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Task At Hand

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Nice. Quite a kit list you have there ... the Parasound amps seem quite rare in the UK, but have a great reputation.
    Love the speakers. Have you tried raising them off the floor a bit, get the tweeters to ear level, etc? Or do you sit on beanbags
    Thanks. My recent gear changes have been entirely predicated on what kind of "sound" I want in my ear. I've just gotten started. More changes and a paring down are imminent.

I originally looked at the Parasound A 21 (just realized my typo in the previous post). It's dimensions better "matched" the SAE Mark IIIA (tall); but, the A 21 was much more power than I needed (especially given the better efficiency and sonic presentation of the JBLs over the EPIs). The A 23 has more or less the same power output as the Mark IIIA despite being "height challenged".

There is plenty of UK gear that I've drooled over but would've cost a fortune to have shipped. The Trans-Fi tonearm was the first piece of gear I simply had to have regardless of freight costs. It was well worth it. Same with the Mike New Audio bearing.

I would certainly be happy sitting on beanbags. Nevertheless, it's doubtful that would go over well with SWMBO. I'm already pushing it with having this system where it is. Waiting in the wings, I have very large chunks of our cut down 100+ year old white oak tree in the garage. They've been in there for several years now. I hope to send a chunk over, to the same gent who CNC'd my plinth, for some custom stands before the year is out.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Peter.

Good plan! It's always good to have some hand-crafted items in the house.
    I lived in New England for five years, so am well-familiar with the beautiful trees of the eastern USA
    Hardwood timber is really expensive in the UK, so I reckon your big old oak would be much sought after by any furniture builder here.

I'm Martin.

Vintage JBL with Parasound amplification = good call

Speaker stands are foo
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

JBLs - love them!
    Parasound amp - I had an A21 and it was fab, so I'm sure the A23 is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Speaker stands are foo
    err, what can I say?
    - you can probably get away with raising the JBLs by a couple of inches and maybe tilted back a bit?
    Certainly worth a go, just an inch or two to decouple them from the floor can give a worthwhile improvement in bass definition, ime.

I'm Martin.

I was joking of course...

They need those little stands with the castors that take them up about 6 to 8 inches. I want some for my Akais but I think they all got skipped years ago.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Cheers.

Two years have flown??? Wow!

Many, many changes. Most importantly, I am back in my listening room after 8 years!

Photosuckit is dead to me so I guess I'll have to upload the "before" pics as well as the new pics.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

BEFORE moving everything out (had a third child)

The "Old" Room

DURING Still moving back in. (one child off to college)

The "New" Room

Lots of work ahead, but, it's joyful work. At least, in the process I can once again shut the door and spin tunes.

Not everything is going to fit back in this room as there is more stuff than before even after moving some things out, likely permanently. My wife and I want to be able to easily enter and exit the room. I am going to have to be and have been more selective about what comes back in. Needed: another 4-shelf rack to house two cassette decks, a third turntable and another box; a record cabinet on the left wall on which to set the PR99's; taller cabinets on the right wall (see the current right wall situation pictured below); speaker stands for the JBL's. The lion's share of LP's are still and will have to remain in the living room and the bedroom as there simply will not be space in the listening room for them. Seating also needs to come back in on the back wall.

And another old friend comes out to play from underneath our bed.

Hopefully, the next update will see, at least, the third rack in place.

I'm Grant.

Yes too much stuff for too little space.
    Sell some and buy more music lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Default Comparing tables...

Left side: 1200G - Right side: modified 1200MK2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234